HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Video & Multimedia (Forum) » An outstanding speech by ...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Thu Nov 15, 2012, 05:13 AM

An outstanding speech by Uruguay's president Mujica in Rio

Full text of the speech:
http://thewanderlife.com/human-happiness-and-the-environment-address-by-uruguayan-president-jose-mujica-at-rio-20-summit/

Mujica, 77, former guerilla who spent more that 14 years in prison, two at the bottom of a well, gives 90% of his salary to charity, refused to live in Presidential Palace and continues to stay at his little farm, guarded by a three legged dog.

In June 2012, his government made a move to legalize state-controlled sales of marijuana in order to fight drug-related crimes and health issues, and stated that they would ask global leaders to do the same.

8 replies, 5009 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 8 replies Author Time Post
Reply An outstanding speech by Uruguay's president Mujica in Rio (Original post)
tama Nov 2012 OP
snappyturtle Nov 2012 #1
cprise Nov 2012 #2
tama Nov 2012 #3
cprise Nov 2012 #4
sulphurdunn Nov 2012 #5
cprise Nov 2012 #6
sulphurdunn Nov 2012 #8
Turborama Nov 2012 #7

Response to tama (Original post)

Thu Nov 15, 2012, 06:44 AM

1. I suggest also listening to Thom Hartman at the link below.

http://www.democraticunderground.com/?com=view_post&forum=1017&pid=79807

In an interesting way both videos seem to be addressing our plight.

Thanks so much for posting the video. It is a very important message I feel we must wrap our heads around.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Thu Nov 15, 2012, 10:54 AM

2. His speech comes from a good place, but he erroneously buys into

the lightbulb conspiracy theory, which is patently false.

A very long-lasting incandescent lightbulb will emit far less visible light as opposed to heat than even conventional incandescent bulbs (which are very wasteful themselves). So lightbulb makers settled on a compromise (or balance) between durability and energy efficiency.

Finally, lightbulbs are a hardware commodity of sorts and the profit margins are very low. Hence, there is no "Big Lightbulb" monopoly or cartel to throw its weight around among politicians.

So its kind of sad that Mujica ruins an otherwise moving speech with a falsehood. Part of what makes the challenge so colossal is to pay attention to technical and scientific detail at the same time that we aim for a great overarching goal of the sustainable society. We have to examine our tendencies and motives as human beings (and as one humanity) while we are criticizing everything through lenses like the laws of thermodynamics.

Reply to this post

Response to cprise (Reply #2)

Thu Nov 15, 2012, 12:16 PM

3. Yup

Him and Al Gore and the whole fucking EU. No biggie, in the line of all the stupid things...

Reply to this post

Response to tama (Reply #3)

Thu Nov 15, 2012, 01:12 PM

4. You're confusing the push away from incandescent toward CFL/LED

with the theory that 100 years ago lightbulb makers consciously decided to make less durable bulb to create more demand for their products.

The speech alludes to the latter.

Reply to this post

Response to cprise (Reply #4)

Thu Nov 15, 2012, 06:56 PM

5. The man was using lightbulbs

figuratively, as symbols and as a bellwether of the direction we will either take willingly or unwillingly but will take nevertheless, and soon.

Reply to this post

Response to sulphurdunn (Reply #5)

Thu Nov 15, 2012, 09:36 PM

6. He was using them as an *example* n/t

Reply to this post

Response to cprise (Reply #6)

Fri Nov 16, 2012, 02:49 PM

8. As in

"shedding some light on the subject?"

Reply to this post

Thu Nov 15, 2012, 11:01 PM

7. Interesting synchronicity

I posted a profile about this awesome guy in GD earlier here: http://www.democraticunderground.com/10021824861 and, without knowing you'd posted it, recently added this very same vid the thread. I was checking in here to post it and noticed you'd already done it several hours before I posted my OP!

How random is that synchronicity?

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread