HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Video & Multimedia (Forum) » Support Walmart Workers o...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Wed Nov 14, 2012, 04:40 AM

Support Walmart Workers on Black Friday

How to help:

http://makingchangeatwalmart.org/2012/11/02/resources/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=resources

8 replies, 1064 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 8 replies Author Time Post
Reply Support Walmart Workers on Black Friday (Original post)
tama Nov 2012 OP
Tobin S. Nov 2012 #1
srichardson Nov 2012 #2
dotymed Nov 2012 #3
limpyhobbler Nov 2012 #8
Maineman Nov 2012 #4
tama Nov 2012 #5
HopeHoops Nov 2012 #6
limpyhobbler Nov 2012 #7

Response to tama (Original post)

Wed Nov 14, 2012, 05:24 AM

1. Amen. I got a little teary eyed there.

K&R

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Wed Nov 14, 2012, 06:53 AM

2. My daughter

worked at WalMart in HS and they screwed her out of hours all the time. She hated it there. WalMart monopolizes our small town and we have no ma and pa stores but since watching the documentary, I try to shop in Bartlesville as often as possible. Go workers! Unionize!

Reply to this post

Wed Nov 14, 2012, 07:14 AM

3. If the worlds largest store cannot Unionize in America

we are definitely powerless.
Unionizing, earning a living wage with benefits, is the right of every human being. People do not realize the improvements in all aspects of their lives (we only have one). Sometimes, individual locals are corrupt. That is changeable from the inside. Unions are Democracies.
Currently, Americans work multiple jobs and still can not afford health care (so we pay high prices for their E.R. visits, we pay for their food stamps so they can partially eat. These very wealthy industrialists make us (struggling Americans) pay instead of taking care of their workers. What social contract?
Single payer would save us billion$ and be paid for (much less expensive covering all, no wealthy middlemen) by tax increases on the wealthy, whose created this disgrace.
They can not do this shit in Europe, why allow it here? Because someone was born wealthy doesn't make them superior.
Fuck the status quo as it now stands.

Reply to this post

Response to dotymed (Reply #3)

Wed Nov 14, 2012, 04:17 PM

8. +1

Reply to this post

Wed Nov 14, 2012, 08:52 AM

4. "Stand up" means what? What are they asking for?

Reply to this post

Response to Maineman (Reply #4)

Wed Nov 14, 2012, 09:20 AM

5. For those incapable to click the link and read from there:

We have been speaking out for good jobs with decent pay, regular hours, affordable healthcare and respect, but instead of working with us to make changes, Walmart has attempted to silence us and has retaliated against us for speaking out. Our jobs have been threatened, our hours cut, our schedules changed. Some of us have even been fired.

We will not be silenced. Throughout the holiday season, including Black Friday, we will be standing up for an end to the retaliation against workers who speak out for what’s right for our families, our communities and our country, and we hope that you will stand with us. It is not an easy decision, but without an end to the retaliation, Walmart workers across the country will be walking off the job in protest, and we hope you will join us in creative, non-violent action in solidarity with our strike. We ask that supporters take action that spreads the word about our strikes and demonstrates to Walmart a wave of support for workers who are speaking out.

Reply to this post

Wed Nov 14, 2012, 12:06 PM

6. I hide in the house on Black Friday. People are fucking nuts.

Actually, we spend Thursday preparing stuff for the meal, which we have on Friday. It makes life so much more mellow. You couldn't drag me out of the house by my ankles on Black Friday. The ads are really funny though - "$79 FOR A 54" FLATSCREEN TV! (small print: Minimum of 2 per store. No rain checks.)

Reply to this post

Wed Nov 14, 2012, 04:16 PM

7. this is long overdue. Glad to see this is finally happening.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread