HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Video & Multimedia (Forum) » Hartmann - Caught? Fake c...

Wed Oct 24, 2012, 04:25 AM

Hartmann - Caught? Fake conservative identities re-writing the web?

&sns=fb

Lee Fang, Think Progress joins Thom Hartmann. Thom noticed for years that people have been going into his message boards - particularly around the time of elections - and posting right-wing propaganda - and one guy ADMITTED that he's being paid by Conservative organizations to do this. But it appears that the Chamber of Commerce may be up to something much more nefarious using fake internet identities. Earlier this year - ThinkProgress obtained hacked emails from the defense contractor HB Gary Federal - that suggest that - with the help of other security firms - HBGF was working with the Chamber of Commerce to sabotage Progressive organizations like ThinkProgress and the union SEIU.

It appears their strategy was to use fake online personas - complete with fake Twitter - Facebook - and Linked-in accounts - to infiltrate and gather private data and intimidate people who work for organizations critical of the Chamber of Commerce. For example - meet Holly Weber - born in 1984 - attended Reynold High School - worked for Lockheed Martin - served time in the Air Forice and...is completely made up. Holly Weber is not real - she's one of the fake online personas created by HB Gary Federal. And it looks like the guy who created so-called Holly Weber - an executive at Gary Federal - Aaron Barr - apparently drew his inspiration from Maxim magainze - and this model whose name IS ACTUALLY Holly Weber - and WAS ACTUALLY born in 1984. So...what is going on here?

10 replies, 2702 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 10 replies Author Time Post
Reply Hartmann - Caught? Fake conservative identities re-writing the web? (Original post)
babylonsister Oct 2012 OP
GTurck Oct 2012 #1
Ford_Prefect Oct 2012 #2
lunasun Oct 2012 #8
DhhD Oct 2012 #3
Dustlawyer Oct 2012 #4
WhoIsNumberNone Oct 2012 #5
Dustlawyer Oct 2012 #6
They_Live Oct 2012 #7
Dustlawyer Oct 2012 #10
HopeHoops Oct 2012 #9

Response to babylonsister (Original post)

Wed Oct 24, 2012, 07:05 AM

1. I have gotten....

into some chat on the Thom Hartmann's website and wondered. But this has happened on other sites. If they are good it is very subtle. For me I usually ignore them and hope that the webmaster catches them or I think maybe I have dipped into paranoia. Infiltration is a technique of the weak and the true believers (one and the same to me).

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Wed Oct 24, 2012, 07:35 AM

2. What's going on is a logical outcome of the pathology underlying "security" agencies.

These are private firms which have a vested interest in the profitability of the unending war on terror. They also possess an antisocial desire for absolute control of behavior. Many of their executives and employees come from a work environment where anyone not "inside" is considered suspect, including clients.

Professionally they have a history of viewing anyone associated with progressive ideas like free speech, civil rights, or a healthy planet as part of anti-government forces with criminal intent. It is only logical they would pursue the methods of their trade in defense of their fears and to promote their own profits.

These activities as applied to social media and the internet at large were noted some time ago. It is an obvious aspect of the aggressive mindset which drives so-called "opposition research" and other Dirty Tricks strategies. Karl Rove et al know who buried the skeletons and where to get the best "dirt", or in other cases how to manufacture it. His best friends are part of the larger invisible state and 1984 was 28 years ago.

Reply to this post

Response to Ford_Prefect (Reply #2)

Wed Oct 24, 2012, 11:40 AM

8. +1

Reply to this post

Wed Oct 24, 2012, 09:13 AM

3. I believe that my reply about Romney never having walked in my shoes was rewritten by

whom ever is sending me a message on this DU site saying that 3 people have unfriended me: 3 People Have Unfriended You.

Reply to this post

Wed Oct 24, 2012, 09:29 AM

4. Even more people here at DU need to pay attention to this! K&R!

Reply to this post

Wed Oct 24, 2012, 09:32 AM

5. This is actually a pretty old story

It broke in November 2010. I remember it all too well... Not that I have any objection to reminding people, since this sort of thing is almost certainly still going on. It was only HBGary who got busted- I can tell you for certain none of the people involved got in any serious legal trouble over it. They got fired, but they all have other jobs now. Probably doing much the same thing.

Reply to this post

Wed Oct 24, 2012, 09:47 AM

6. I should add, the U.S. Chamber of Commerce has set up several fake newspapers which all

Have the name "The Record." Here where I am from it is called the Southeast Texas Record. They are available Free outside of the JURY EMPANELING ROOM! They pretend to be a real newspaper but are designed to influence jurors. They tailor the stories to match upcoming trials. The 1st paper was in West Virginia. Ours, when it came out did not even sell advertising until about 9 months later when I guess they recognized people could see through it. They have toned things down now but the op Ed pieces are where they shamelessly promote their msg. Check it out at www.southeasttexasrecord.com.

Reply to this post

Response to Dustlawyer (Reply #6)

Wed Oct 24, 2012, 10:06 AM

7. that link doesn't work...

...but this one does:

http://setexasrecord.com/

Thanks for the info! Seems to me that this publication is aimed at lawyers, but I could see how it might influence jurors, too.

Reply to this post

Response to They_Live (Reply #7)

Fri Oct 26, 2012, 01:23 AM

10. Thanks. They have toned it down, but the opinion pieces can be pure propaganda!

Reply to this post

Wed Oct 24, 2012, 01:05 PM

9. K&R - Welcome to 1984, 28 years later.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread