HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Video & Multimedia (Forum) » Mike Malloy's live commen...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Thu Oct 4, 2012, 04:21 AM

Mike Malloy's live commentary on the 10/3 presidential debate (4 segments)

NPR.org transcript of the debate moderated by Jim Lehrer; the start and end lines of each segment are marked below. Mike Malloy did live commentary of the Oct. 3 debate for the first hour of the Mike Malloy Show, as both the debate and radio show were live in the 9pm ET hour.

SEGMENT 1 begins with Romney: "Ann yesterday was a rally in Denver, and a woman came up to her with a baby in her arms and said, Ann, my husband has had four jobs in three years, part-time jobs. He's lost his most recent job, and we've now just lost our home. Can you help us?"

ends at Obama: "Now, Governor Romney's proposal that he has been promoting for 18 months calls for a $5 trillion tax cut on top of $2 trillion of additional spending for our military. And he is saying that he is going to pay for it by closing loopholes and deductions. The problem is that he's been asked a over a hundred times how you would close those deductions and loopholes and he hasn't been able to identify them."

SEGMENT 2 LIVE SEGMENT STARTS AT:
MR. LEHRER: No problem. No, you don't have you don't have a problem, I don't have a problem, because we're still on the economy, but we're going to come back to taxes and we're going to move on to the deficit and a lot of other things, too.

ENDS AT:
MR. ROMNEY: Well, good. I'm glad you raised that. And it's a it's a critical issue. I think it's not just an economic issue. I think it's a moral issue. I think it's, frankly, not moral for my generation to keep spending massively more than we take in, knowing those burdens are going to be passed on to the next generation. And they're going to be paying the interest and the principle all their lives. And the amount of debt we're adding, at a trillion a year, is simply not moral.

SEGMENT 3 STARTS AT:
OBAMA: Let's talk about corporate taxes. Now, I've identified areas where we can, right away, make a change that I believe would actually help the economy. The the oil industry gets $4 billion a year in corporate welfare. Basically, they get deductions that those small businesses that Governor Romney refers to, they don't get. Now, does anybody think that ExxonMobil needs some extra money when they're making money every time you go to the pump? Why wouldn't we want to eliminate that?

ENDS WITH (ROMNEY: ) I want to take that $716 billion you've cut and put it back into Medicare. By the way, we can include a prescription program if we need to improve it, but the idea of cutting $716 billion from Medicare to be able to balance the additional cost of "Obamacare" is, in my opinion, a mistake.

SEGMENT 4: The live feed in this segment begins at the line:

MR. LEHRER: Yeah, we're going to yeah. I want to get to it, but all I want to do is very quickly

MR. ROMNEY: Let's get back to Medicare.

MR. LEHRER: before we leave the economy

MR. ROMNEY: Let's get back to Medicare.

(Mike had a GREAT time hollering: "WHO'S IN CHARGE?")

ENDS AT:

MR. LEHRER: All right, I think we have another clear difference between the two of you.

(Mike is already DONE with the debate and will spend the next 2 hours commenting on his own and taking calls.)

Playlists of my uploads: Mike Malloy show archives, October 2012 (to expand as the month goes on)

September 2012

1 replies, 1045 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 1 replies Author Time Post
Reply Mike Malloy's live commentary on the 10/3 presidential debate (4 segments) (Original post)
alp227 Oct 2012 OP
Spitfire of ATJ Oct 2012 #1

Response to alp227 (Original post)

Thu Oct 4, 2012, 03:30 PM

1. "Mitt Romney's flag lapel pin is larger than Obama's."

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread