HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Video & Multimedia (Forum) » How Dangerous is the Radi...

Fri Apr 6, 2012, 09:29 PM

How Dangerous is the Radioactive Wave Headed Toward the US?

Uploaded by MsMilkytheclown on Apr 6, 2012

Source Video: /watch?v=nJISxqqE-oA
Uploaded by rumorecurioso on Apr 6, 2012 and Redbuttonstudio

TheBigPictureRT: Kevin Kamps, Beyond Nuclear, joins Thom Hartmann. California beware! A radioactive wave is headed toward the West Coast of the United States courtesy of the Fukushima nuclear disaster? So with nuclear power still wreaking havoc on the environment - why are the Japanese about to flip on more of their nuclear reactors?

FAIR USE NOTICE: Any copyrighted () material is made available to advance understanding of ecological, political, human rights, economic, democracy, scientific, moral, ethical, and social justice issues, which constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.

Arnie Gundersen/Fairewinds Associates:
http://www.fairewinds.com/
http://www.youtube.com/user/fairewindsenergy
in Japanese: http://www.fairewinds.com/ja

Nuclear Regulatory Commission daily reports (what's happening at nuclear plants near you):
http://www.nrc.gov/reading-rm/doc-collections/event-status/event/2012/

Union of Concerned Scientists (watchdog over NRC):
http://www.ucsusa.org/nuclear_power/

.... MORE @ above Youtube link of this video

NRC approves construction of more death-ray machines.

- Yes. We. Can. Right.........

We do not expect harmful levels of radiation to reach the United States, whether its the West Coast, Hawaii, Alaska, or U.S. territories in the Pacific. That is the judgment of our Nuclear Regulatory Commission and many other experts. President Barack Obama

12 replies, 2794 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 12 replies Author Time Post
Reply How Dangerous is the Radioactive Wave Headed Toward the US? (Original post)
DeSwiss Apr 2012 OP
chervilant Apr 2012 #1
chervilant Apr 2012 #2
chervilant Apr 2012 #3
freshwest Apr 2012 #5
freshwest Apr 2012 #9
Katashi_itto Apr 2012 #6
chervilant Apr 2012 #7
Katashi_itto Apr 2012 #8
suzanner Apr 2012 #10
CHOCOLATMIMOSA Apr 2012 #4
wxgeek7 Apr 2012 #11
lovuian Apr 2012 #12

Response to DeSwiss (Original post)

Fri Apr 6, 2012, 09:37 PM

1. Rachel Maddow

just reported the most current information regarding Fukushima. Reactor 2 has only two feet of water covering its core, instead of the expected 33 feet of water. The scientists involved don't know if the extremely hot core is evaporating the water or if it's leaking into the ocean.

Enough radioactivity is leaking from Reactor 2 to kill a human in a matter of minutes. Reactor 2 is so radioactive, electronics in robots that might be used to view the core or repair the reactor would become inoperable almost immediately. Scientists are admitting that they will have to invent technology to 'fix' this problem.

Reactor 2 is considered the least problematic of the damaged reactors at Fukushima...

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Fri Apr 6, 2012, 09:38 PM

2. Mr. Obama

needs to be completely honest about this issue.

Reply to this post

Sat Apr 7, 2012, 12:27 PM

3. Oh, great...

Fifteen hours have elapsed since you posted this, and mine are the ONLY responses?!

Is this a case of NIMBY, or are people too overwhelmed by the Fukushima disaster to even contemplate the 'fallout'?!?

SIGH...

Reply to this post

Response to chervilant (Reply #3)

Sat Apr 7, 2012, 04:41 PM

5. Just saw it for the 1st time & will get back when I return home... If I'm still not undead yet.

Reply to this post

Response to freshwest (Reply #5)

Sun Apr 8, 2012, 03:56 PM

9. I live in the Pacific Northwest. We've noticed. I know it will shorten lives. I was involved in

Cross-country anti-nuke demonstrations during the seventies and have been a proponent and supporter with my dollars and my lifestyle, like most of my neighbors, of 'anything but nuke' power.

No NIMBY going on here. Consider that the tone you just used might just put a few off. Not me, but I won't apologize for not reply within 15 hours, my lifestyle or activism working to inform and stop these plants. Many of the things I care about don't get any responses on this site, either, and that's just the way it is.

OWS is addressing this calamity and will be going to Occupy the EPA since it's dropped the ball on this and other issues.

Peace Out.

Reply to this post

Response to chervilant (Reply #3)

Sun Apr 8, 2012, 08:50 AM

6. Honestly what do you expect? What can you do about it?

Watch the Movie "On The Beach"

Reply to this post

Response to Katashi_itto (Reply #6)

Sun Apr 8, 2012, 10:45 AM

7. hmm...

I expect members of this forum to be activists, and to express their interest/concern about Fukushima, which--like the BP disaster--has disappeared from the MSM. Now that we live in exponential times, it's imperative that we keep these disasters front and center. Otherwise, we are easily swayed when the IAEA and Mr. Obama collude to build more nuclear reactors, assuring us that nuclear power *IS* the safest and cheapest power available.

Reply to this post

Response to chervilant (Reply #7)

Sun Apr 8, 2012, 12:12 PM

8. Good intentions. But you are fighting against a multi-billion dollar industry.

Frankly nothing will happen till 1/4th the country drops dead from radiation posioning. And if its a slow death, then the status quo will continue.

Reply to this post

Response to Katashi_itto (Reply #8)

Sun Apr 8, 2012, 06:08 PM

10. Just wondering what Canada is doing about this.

Didn't comment before as I followed threads to find out more. Considering DC's (mostly RW) callousness and cynicism about us 'little people', I expect this fits right in with their plan: the rich must get richer to be immune and protected; the poor must be weeded out.
I notice no video of what's washing up from the tsunami and where or what fishing boats are seeing in the Pacific.

Reply to this post

Sat Apr 7, 2012, 02:05 PM

4. K&R Thanks for Posting

Reply to this post

Mon Apr 9, 2012, 01:46 PM

11. It may not be that bad for us on the west coast

According to ASR Ltd (the folks who created the oceanographic model shown in the video):

"We use a Lagrangian particles dispersal method to track where free floating material (fish larvae, algae, phytoplankton, zooplankton...) present in the sea water near the damaged Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power station plant could have gone since the earthquake on March 11th. THIS IS NOT A REPRESENTATION OF THE RADIOACTIVE PLUME CONCENTRATION. Since we do not know exactly how much contaminated water and at what concentration was released into the ocean, it is impossible to estimate the extent and dilution of the plume."

http://www.asrltd.com/japan/plume.php

And, The Woods Hole Oceanographic Institute basically found that, even off the coast of Japan, the samples they took (last year) were for the most part not hazardous to human health:

"....analysis of samples from the study site show that the amount of radiation in the ocean fell well below EPA standards that would deem it unsafe to use as drinking water. 'We knew that the radionuclides had to be moving off shore very rapidly once they entered the water,' said Buesseler. 'Once they did, they quickly dispersed across a wide area and began mixing into the deeper layers of the ocean.'"

"'The radioactivity of the fish we caught and analyzed would not pose problems for human consumption,' said Fisher. 'It does not mean all marine organisms caught in the region are perfectly safe to eat. That's still an open question.'"

http://www.whoi.edu/page.do?pid=7545&tid=3622&cid=133509

Reply to this post

Mon Apr 9, 2012, 08:16 PM

12. the point is everbody in the world gets effected by nuclear

one way or the other

we need to stop nuclear now

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread