HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Video & Multimedia (Forum) » 2011 Tsunami in (I believ...

Wed Feb 20, 2013, 01:45 AM

2011 Tsunami in (I believe) Minamisanriku

Make note of the large blue building.

I like to watch these every time I need a reality check about what suffering and loss really means, and I have seen quite a lot of them, but this one was new for me.

Note, this video is only showing the first and perhaps second waves.

21 replies, 3060 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 21 replies Author Time Post
Reply 2011 Tsunami in (I believe) Minamisanriku (Original post)
Demo_Chris Feb 2013 OP
AsahinaKimi Feb 2013 #1
Demo_Chris Feb 2013 #6
AsahinaKimi Feb 2013 #7
Demo_Chris Feb 2013 #9
AsahinaKimi Feb 2013 #10
Demo_Chris Feb 2013 #11
AsahinaKimi Feb 2013 #13
Demo_Chris Feb 2013 #14
ErikJ Feb 2013 #2
Art_from_Ark Feb 2013 #3
Demo_Chris Feb 2013 #4
Art_from_Ark Feb 2013 #15
Demo_Chris Feb 2013 #16
Art_from_Ark Feb 2013 #17
Art_from_Ark Feb 2013 #18
Demo_Chris Feb 2013 #19
Art_from_Ark Feb 2013 #20
Demo_Chris Feb 2013 #21
FourScore Feb 2013 #5
Plucketeer Feb 2013 #8
Demo_Chris Feb 2013 #12

Response to Demo_Chris (Original post)

Wed Feb 20, 2013, 02:54 AM

1. I beleive the (pic heavy)

Anniversary of the Tohoku earthquake will be coming up soon on March 11th. (2011). Its hard to believe its been two years. I had posted many videos from the event, as well as photographs.. and asked people to donate to Japan's relief fund. I myself managed to send $800.00 US dollars over a series of three or four months. I remember the photos of the shelters, the Buddhist monks praying over area's where people had died.

The blank haunted stares of children in disbelief that such a thing could happen in their lives..

The poster board with many names of people lost and still missing

And the massive clean up still ahead.

The hard life in the shelters. Not to mention the terror of the Nuclear plants affected
by the quake and Tsunami. Here, just two years later.. debris is still coming to our American
shores, a reminder, of the devastation. Japan has recovered from this more or less.. but it cost
much..and with older workers volunteering to go into the Nuclear plants to clean up, knowing
they would die in 20 years from exposure...Its an event that will be remembered for years to come.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to AsahinaKimi (Reply #1)

Wed Feb 20, 2013, 12:04 PM

6. Do you live in Japan?

Reply to this post

Response to Demo_Chris (Reply #6)

Wed Feb 20, 2013, 12:32 PM

7. No.

I am a Japanese-Korean-American. I do have relatives in Osaka, Miyazaki and in South Korea. I was last there when I was 6 months old. There are some on this board who do live in Japan. Bonobo and Art_from_Ark. Why do you ask?

Reply to this post

Response to AsahinaKimi (Reply #7)

Wed Feb 20, 2013, 02:27 PM

9. You seem quite knowledgeable

Reply to this post

Response to Demo_Chris (Reply #9)

Wed Feb 20, 2013, 03:24 PM

10. I love Asian Culture, Art and History

Especially Music. I took up Asian Studies at Cal Berkeley. I was the one who got the Asian group going on DU so we could share that information with everyone. I grew up in mostly Asian neighborhood in San Francisco, and my high school was very multicultural. We had people from all over the world there, but mostly Chinese, Filipinos (and Filipinas), Vietnamese, Cambodian, Taiwanese, Indonesians, Singaporeans, and Malaysians.

Having grown up with tales from my Father, I had interest in early Japanese History and stories from my mom, passed down from her mom from South Korea. I would probably admit I am obsessed with Asian culture.. Anime, Manga, Traditions and I love Asian food! I also have many friends on Twitter and IMVU who share their joy of all things Asian with me as well. Its my passion and hope to some day visit places like Hong Kong, Singapore, Jakarta, Bangkok, Seoul, Hanoi, Beijing, Taipei, and return to Osaka to visit with my relatives.

Reply to this post

Response to AsahinaKimi (Reply #10)

Wed Feb 20, 2013, 03:46 PM

11. There is an Asia art museum near where I live

That I have visited several times.

As I understand it, some Texas Billionaire fell in love with Asian art and sculpture and this is his private collection that he turned int oa free museum. Some of the pieces there are absolutely mind blowing, so if you are in the area you aught to take a look.

http://www.crowcollection.com/default.aspx

Reply to this post

Response to Demo_Chris (Reply #11)

Wed Feb 20, 2013, 08:19 PM

13. We have a huge Asian Art Museum here In San Francsico

http://www.asianart.org/

I have been there many, many times. I love the exhibits there. I follow them on twitter (https://twitter.com/asianartmuseum) and re tweeted postings of up and coming events. Its a lovely place to visit and they do have a free day once a month so anyone may go.

Reply to this post

Response to AsahinaKimi (Reply #13)

Thu Feb 21, 2013, 01:12 AM

14. Nice! n/t

Reply to this post

Wed Feb 20, 2013, 02:57 AM

2. This coming soon to Oregon and Washington coasts.

At least a 60 foot tsunami after a Richter 9 mega-thrust earthquake 70 miles off the coast of Oregon. Overdue according to geologists.

Reply to this post

Wed Feb 20, 2013, 03:34 AM

3. Yes, that is Minami Sanriku

Here is another video of the Minami Sanriku tsunami, taken from a high school that was on a hill overlooking the town.

Reply to this post

Response to Art_from_Ark (Reply #3)

Wed Feb 20, 2013, 11:25 AM

4. Amazing footage

Reply to this post

Response to Demo_Chris (Reply #4)

Thu Feb 21, 2013, 10:25 PM

15. And what really doomed a lot of people in Minami Sanriku

was that a large part of the town was wedged between the ocean and the elevated railway line. Looking at a map of Minami Sanriku, I found that there were essentially only two ways to get to the other side of the train tracks from the ocean side. So there must have been huge bottlenecks there. And even for the people who were lucky enough to get to the landward side of the tracks, they had to contend with the slow-moving traffic on that side.

Reply to this post

Response to Art_from_Ark (Reply #15)

Thu Feb 21, 2013, 11:09 PM

16. Interesting. Question...

Do you know if TEPCO or the government is compensating the people from the Fukushima exclusion zone for their lost property?

Reply to this post

Response to Demo_Chris (Reply #16)

Thu Feb 21, 2013, 11:33 PM

17. According to this Japanese news article that was posted just a few hours ago,

residents of the town of Futaba who had land or buildings that were affected by the Dai-ichi nuclear disaster will be sent a detailed statement from the town's property tax office beginning on the 26th, which they will then send to TEPCO to seek compensation. TEPCO will then calculate the amount of compensation based on these detailed statements.

I don't know about other affected towns right off the bat, but I can find something about them as well when I have a little more time.

http://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20130222-00000010-fminpo-l07

Reply to this post

Response to Demo_Chris (Reply #16)

Thu Feb 21, 2013, 11:48 PM

18. Here's another article that says about 60,000 households are targeted for compensation

TEPCO and the Agency for Natural Resources and Energy are going to start accepting bills for compensation for lost property/assets from property owners in 11 municipalities around the end of next month:

http://www.minpo.jp/news/detail/201302206730

Reply to this post

Response to Art_from_Ark (Reply #18)

Fri Feb 22, 2013, 12:28 AM

19. Thanks! It's absolutely insane that they are still uncompensated

I suppose the scale of destruction leaves many in the same boat, but even so this seems wrong.

Reply to this post

Response to Demo_Chris (Reply #19)

Fri Feb 22, 2013, 12:34 AM

20. I think this is one reason why the Democratic Party of Japan lost the last election

The DPJ was resoundingly defeated in the Lower House elections (which determined the prime minister) last December, in part because they were perceived as not doing enough to get the ball rolling for recovery and compensation in the disaster areas. The new prime minister has shown a lot more interest in getting the recovery and compensation efforts into high gear.

Reply to this post

Response to Art_from_Ark (Reply #20)

Fri Feb 22, 2013, 02:50 AM

21. Thanks!

Reply to this post

Wed Feb 20, 2013, 11:30 AM

5. Unfathonable. n/t

Reply to this post

Wed Feb 20, 2013, 01:00 PM

8. This sorta thing is a REAL and LIKELY scenario

for somewhere along our west coast. Such a debacle would make Hurricane Sandy look like a summer rain shower.

Reply to this post

Response to Plucketeer (Reply #8)

Wed Feb 20, 2013, 03:48 PM

12. And we are completely unprepared. n/t

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread