HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Video & Multimedia (Forum) » UK Activists Look To Use ...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Tue Feb 19, 2013, 09:20 PM

UK Activists Look To Use Wasted Food

AlJazeeraEnglish

Published on Feb 19, 2013

Supermarkets around the world insist on having the very best products on their shelves. So much so that they're willing to throw away perfectly edible food, because it doesn't fit their size and cosmetic standards.

Al Jazeera's Laurence Lee reports from Kent in the UK on how campaigners are trying to save that waste.

- The Earth gives us all we need, and much more. There should be no such thing as ''poor.''

"Everyone sits in the prison of his own ideas. A human being is a part of the whole called by us "Universe," a part limited in time and space. He experiences himself, his thoughts and feelings as something separated from the rest- a kind of optical delusion of his consciousness. This delusion is a kind of prison for us, restricting us to our personal desires and to affection for a few persons nearest to us. Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature in its beauty." ~Albert Einstein

5 replies, 908 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 5 replies Author Time Post
Reply UK Activists Look To Use Wasted Food (Original post)
DeSwiss Feb 2013 OP
NaturalHigh Feb 2013 #1
OffWithTheirHeads Feb 2013 #2
zeemike Feb 2013 #3
loudsue Feb 2013 #4
zeemike Feb 2013 #5

Response to DeSwiss (Original post)

Tue Feb 19, 2013, 09:24 PM

1. It's a shame that so much food is wasted.

A friend of mine, who raises cattle, used to buy Hostess and Rainbow bread that was being tossed out. He fed it to his cattle, and they did well on it. It was dirt cheap too.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to DeSwiss (Original post)

Tue Feb 19, 2013, 09:39 PM

2. Google the 3,000 club.

It's a group of people in Arizona that does what they call food rescue. As I understand it, they gather up produce that was "not perfect enough" for supermarkets and each Saturday they set up locations throughout the state where for $10.00 you can pick up about 60# of produce. I went last Saturday and it was amazing! Here is a photo of my $10.00 box.

I have a couple of posts in the Arizona forum about this starting with streatching your food budget and another about my first experience with this group.

I can only hope that this idea spreads!

I'll tell you what, those peppers were certainally good enough for me!

Reply to this post

Response to OffWithTheirHeads (Reply #2)

Tue Feb 19, 2013, 10:34 PM

3. Can;t even see a blemish.

And in the store they would be at least a dollar each....and probably a lot fresher.

Reply to this post

Response to zeemike (Reply #3)

Wed Feb 20, 2013, 04:07 AM

4. A red pepper in NC is $3.00 ($2.99)

That's a nice bunch of veggies!

Reply to this post

Response to loudsue (Reply #4)

Wed Feb 20, 2013, 09:09 AM

5. Holly crap.

No wonder I don't buy them...but I love green peppers, and they are high enough.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread