HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Good Reads (Forum) » Rules of American justice...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Tue Jan 24, 2012, 02:19 PM

Rules of American justice: a tale of three cases

Tuesday, Jan 24, 2012 9:23 AM UTC

By Glenn Greenwald

Developments in three legal cases, just from the last 24 hours, potently illuminate the Rules of American Justice. First, the Justice Department yesterday charged a former CIA agent, John Kiriakou, with four felony counts for having allegedly disclosed classified information to reporters about the CIA’s interrogation program. Included among those charges are two counts under the Espionage Act of 1917,
(cut)

What’s most notable here is that this is now the sixth prosecution by the Obama administration of an accused leaker, and all six have been charged under the draconian, World-War-I era Espionage Act. As EFF’s Trevor Timm put it yesterday: this is the “6th time under Obama someone is charged with Espionage for leaking to a journalist. Before Obama: only 3 cases in history.” This is all accomplished by characterizing disclosures in American newspapers about America’s wrongdoing as “aiding the enemy” (the alleged enemy being informed is Al Qaeda, but the actual concern is that the American people learn what their government is doing).
(cut)

Also yesterday in American justice, a three-judge panel of a federal appellate court in Virginia upheld the dismissal of a lawsuit brought against Donald Rumsfeld and other Bush officials by Jose Padilla, the U.S. citizen who was imprisoned for almost three years without charges or even a lawyer and was systematically tortured to the point of permanent mental incapacitation.
(cut)

Finally in American justice yesterday, the conclusion came to the criminal process arising from a horrific 2005 incident in which 24 unarmed Iraqi civilians were slaughtered in the town of Haditha during American raids conducted in the aftermath of an explosion of a roadside bomb. The Marine Staff Sgt. who ordered his soldiers to “shoot first, ask questions later,” Frank Wuterich, was in the midst of a manslaughter trial that could have sent him to prison for life (first-degree murder charges were previously withdrawn by the Government). Instead, prosecutors “offered Wuterich a deal that stopped the proceedings and could mean little to no jail time.” Instead, he “pleaded guilty Monday to negligent dereliction of duty”

(more at link)

http://politics.salon.com/2012/01/24/rules_of_american_justice_a_tale_of_three_cases/singleton/

4 replies, 993 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 4 replies Author Time Post
Reply Rules of American justice: a tale of three cases (Original post)
Lionessa Jan 2012 OP
Lionessa Jan 2012 #1
3dogs Jan 2012 #2
Stuart G Jan 2012 #3
Doctor_J Jan 2012 #4

Response to Lionessa (Original post)

Tue Jan 24, 2012, 02:42 PM

1. I truly do not understand why an Obama administration is doing these things.

Supporting slaughterers, indefinite detention and torturers, and prosecuting those bringing these heinous crimes to light. I just don't get it. I think the man has a real cruel streak in him.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Lionessa (Reply #1)

Tue Jan 24, 2012, 07:57 PM

3. Very Sad indeed....nt.

Reply to this post

Wed Jan 25, 2012, 12:53 PM

4. I have a couple problems with these situations

First of all, these things completely diminish our past standing as the people that don't do these things - this is the kind of crap you hear about coming from the banana republics. We are now considered a rogue state, and with good reason.

Second, if the admin really wants to go after traitors (laudable), then don't just pick on the peons. Sic Holder on Bush, Cheney, Rumsfeld, and get to the bottom of the worst foreign policy decision in US History.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread