HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Good Reads (Forum) » What if the Iranians star...

Mon Jan 16, 2012, 05:51 PM

What if the Iranians start killing scientists?

From Haaretz:
What if the Iranians start killing scientists?
Israel's official response to news of the assassination last week of Iranian nuclear scientist Mustafa Ahmadi Roshan was a deafening silence. The unofficial response was a wink. The day before, Israel Defense Forces Chief of Staff Lt. Gen. Benny Gantz, grinning slightly, spoke about "unnatural events" that were delaying Iran's nuclear program. The Israeli self-congratulation was obvious.

The Israeli public did not question the wisdom of assassinating the Iranian scientists. In Israeli culture, which sanctifies security, such questions are seen as treason. If the hit was successful - the scientist was eliminated and the assassins disappeared - you don't ask questions.

But U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton insisted on calling a spade a spade: She categorically denied all U.S. involvement in the latest assassination and even declared that the United States emphatically opposed the assassination of scientists. Her announcement was received with shock and even dismay in Israel. Where is the wisdom in making this kind of public statement, some asked; and in any event, it's hypocritical in light of the fact that President Barack Obama has killed more terrorists using unmanned aerial vehicles than his predecessors.

In order to understand the American criticism of the hits on the scientists, one must ask the questions that Israelis avoid: Do such killings do real damage to Iran's nuclear program? What could be the negative results of the assassination policy? Is it right to create a situation in which scientists (first nuclear scientists and then perhaps scientists in general and senior officials) become pawns in a war of assassinations and counter-assassinations?

In a nutshell: Now that it's started, where does it stop? And is it worth it?

Very good article, IMO.

PB

3 replies, 950 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 3 replies Author Time Post
Reply What if the Iranians start killing scientists? (Original post)
Poll_Blind Jan 2012 OP
Voice for Peace Jan 2012 #1
Bill USA Jan 2012 #2
Lint Head Jan 2012 #3

Response to Poll_Blind (Original post)

Mon Jan 16, 2012, 05:57 PM

1. if there's a choice, I'd prefer they all assassinate each other

than start a big war where so many innocents are in the way.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Poll_Blind (Original post)

Mon Jan 16, 2012, 06:31 PM

2. I'm more worried about Republicans killing science

Reply to this post

Response to Bill USA (Reply #2)

Mon Jan 16, 2012, 06:32 PM

3. My thought exactly!

Reply to this post