HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Good Reads (Forum) » This message was self-del...

Sun Oct 13, 2013, 06:05 AM

This message was self-deleted by its author

This message was self-deleted by its author (RainDog) on Sat Jan 11, 2014, 11:09 PM. When the original post in a discussion thread is self-deleted, the entire discussion thread is automatically locked so new replies cannot be posted.

4 replies, 657 views

Cannot reply in locked threads

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 4 replies Author Time Post
Reply This message was self-deleted by its author (Original post)
RainDog Oct 2013 OP
marble falls Oct 2013 #1
RainDog Oct 2013 #2
RainDog Oct 2013 #3
yurbud Oct 2013 #4

Response to RainDog (Original post)

Sun Oct 13, 2013, 10:23 AM

1. Goebels was the proto Teabilly?

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to marble falls (Reply #1)

Sun Oct 13, 2013, 09:01 PM

2. I'm reminded of Jeff Sharlet's work

reporting on the (sorry, this is the only term for them that fits, for me) christo-fascist wing of the Republican Party that includes Ted Cruz, and his dominionist religious beliefs (his dad has been stumping for Cruz as a messiah.)

Anyway, Sharlet noted that "The Family" talked about using Hitler and Stalin-like tactics to win - because taking control is what matters, not the democractic process - they actually despise democracy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Family:_The_Secret_Fundamentalism_at_the_Heart_of_American_Power

Jeff Sharlet and Andrea Mitchell have described Fellowship leader Doug Coe as preaching a leadership model and a personal commitment to Jesus Christ comparable to the blind devotion that Adolf Hitler, Joseph Stalin, Mao Zedong, and Pol Pot demanded from their followers. In one videotaped lecture series in 1989, Coe said:

Hitler, Goebbels and Himmler were three men. Think of the immense power these three men had.... But they bound themselves together in an agreement.... Two years before they moved into Poland, these three men had... systematically a plan drawn out... to annihilate the entire Polish population and destroy by numbers every single house... every single building in Warsaw and then to start on the rest of Poland." Coe adds that it worked; they killed six and a half million "Polish people." Though he calls Nazis "these enemies of ours," he compares their commitment to Jesus' demands: "Jesus said, ‘You have to put me before other people. And you have to put me before yourself.' Hitler, that was the demand to be in the Nazi party. You have to put the Nazi party and its objectives ahead of your own life and ahead of other people.

Jeff Sharlet told NBC News that when he was an intern with the Fellowship "we were being taught the leadership lessons of Hitler, Lenin and Mao" and that Hitler's genocide "wasn't an issue for them, it was the strength that he emulated."

Response to RainDog (Reply #2)

Sun Oct 13, 2013, 11:01 PM

3. notice Coe's use of propaganda?

He equates religious practice with totalitarianism. Then he speaks to these politicians as Nazis.

"Jesus said, ‘You have to put me before other people. And you have to put me before yourself.' Hitler, that was the demand to be in the Nazi party. You have to put the Nazi party and its objectives ahead of your own life and ahead of other people.

He is making a direct statement to them as Nazis in the last sentence.

This is creepy stuff.

Response to RainDog (Original post)

Mon Oct 14, 2013, 01:12 AM

4. this is more literate than a lot of today's right wing stuff