HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Good Reads (Forum) » The Trans-Pacific Partner...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Wed Aug 14, 2013, 04:03 PM

The Trans-Pacific Partnership is not about free trade. It's a corporate coup d'etat--against us!

(Long read, by Jim Hightower. Well worth the read. I've clipped just four paragraphs

http://www.hightowerlowdown.org/node/3402#.Ugvfthbv3Qd

Drug prices. Big Pharma would be given more years of monopoly pricing on each of their patents and be empowered to block distribution of cheaper generic drugs. Besides artificially keeping everyone's prices high, this would be a death sentence to many people suffering from cancer, HIV/AIDS, tuberculosis, and other treatable diseases in impoverished lands. The deal would also restrict the rights of our government to negotiate with drug giants to get lower consumer prices with bulk purchases, as Medicare and Medicaid do in the US.

Banksters. Wall Street and the financial giants in other TPP countries would make out like bandits: The deal explicitly prohibits transaction taxes (such as the proposed Robin Hood Tax here) that would shut down super-rich speculators who have repeatedly triggered financial crises and economic crashes around the world; it restricts "firewall" reforms that separate consumer banking from risky investment banking (thus prohibiting Congress from reinstating the much needed Glass-Steagall firewall in our country); it could roll back reforms that governments adopted to fix the extreme bank-deregulation regimen that caused Wall Street's 2007 crash; and it provides a backdoor escape from national rules that would limit the size of "too-big-to-fail" behemoths. These extreme provisions would be enforceable by the banks themselves--TPP empowers them to force governments either to repeal reform laws or to compensate banks with taxpayer money for "losses" they say are caused by reforms.

Internet freedom. Thanks to public rebellion, corporations hoping to lock up and monopolize the internet failed in Congress last year to pass their repressive "Stop Online Piracy Act." However, they've slipped SOPA's most pernicious provisions into TPP. Corporate-created content, for example, would be given copyright protection for a stunning 120 years! The deal would also transform internet service providers into a private, Big Brother police force, empowered to monitor our "user activity," arbitrarily take down our content, and cut off our access to the internet. To top that off, consumers could be assessed mandatory fines for non-commercial, small-scale copying--like sending your mom a recipe you got off of a paid site.

Public services. TPP rules would limit how governments regulate such public services as utilities, transportation, and education, including restricting policies meant to ensure broad or universal access to those essential needs. One especially insidious rule says that member countries must open their service sectors to private competitors, which would allow the corporate provider to cherry pick the profitable customers and sink the public service. Also, corporations from any TPP nation must be allowed to bid on contracts to provide public services in the US on the same terms as American corporations.

16 replies, 1391 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread

Response to silvershadow (Original post)

Wed Aug 14, 2013, 04:20 PM

1. the fact that it is being kept secret is about all one needs to know about it and its believers nt

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Wed Aug 14, 2013, 04:36 PM

2. and who played a leading part in drafting the TPP? Hillary Clinton.

Reply to this post

Response to antigop (Reply #2)

Wed Aug 14, 2013, 04:46 PM

4. Good to know. I'm looking to vote for a Democrat this time, if there is one on the ballot. ;) nt

Reply to this post

Response to silvershadow (Reply #4)

Wed Aug 14, 2013, 07:16 PM

13. Yeah, good luck with that...

Reply to this post

Wed Aug 14, 2013, 04:41 PM

3. And that is WHY it is being negotiated in "secret",

with ONLY reps from the Global Corporations in attendance at these secret negotiations.

No reps from Organized LABOR
No reps from Environmental Protection concerns
No reps from Human Rights Organizations
No reps from the Press
They want it to be a "surprise".

The President is demanding Fast Track Authority for passage
so that there will be:
No Amendments
No debate
No Discussion
just an Up or Down vote...
probably in the dead of night so that our Elected Representatives can scurry away and hide before the sun comes up after betraying America's Working Class once again.

Sorry, Virginia.
There is No Such Thing as "Free Trade".
There is No Such Thing as "Free Markets".
And there is no omnipotent Giant "Invisible Hand" that reaches
down from heaven and "corrects the market".

The RICH made that shit up
and used smooth talking politicians to SELL it to a gullible America
so they THEY could get more money.

You will know them by their WORKS.

Reply to this post

Response to bvar22 (Reply #3)

Wed Aug 14, 2013, 04:52 PM

5. I'm starting to think "negotiating" is just 6 or 8 guys sitting around a poker table in someone's

garage, divvying up the spoils.

Reply to this post

Wed Aug 14, 2013, 05:07 PM

6. Not looking forward to the inevitable spin.

So far I have only seen "it will lift other nations up from poverty".
Not sure if that was meant as a joke - but no, it will just evenly distribute poverty across all member countries and increase the wealth at the very top, across all member countries.

This will affect the upcoming elections very badly, I think, depending on when the veil of secrecy is lifted and we finally see what I am starting to think of as Rosemary's Baby.

Reply to this post

Wed Aug 14, 2013, 05:42 PM

7. Liberal Media

I've heard next to nothing on progressive TV about this. It's like they can't chew gum and walk at the same time. One day it's all Trayvon Martin, the next day immigration, etc. These are indeed big stories and deserve time. But so is TPP and nary a peep. I don't get it.

Reply to this post

Wed Aug 14, 2013, 05:45 PM

8. Yesterday we were treated to Penny Pritzker explaining why the TPP is good for America.

Free trade is good right? Only luddites oppose free trade.

The problem is this deal is not really about free trade or stamping "made in America" on the few remaining things we still make here. The TPP allows transnational corporations to supersede decades of hard won law ranging from food safety to environmental protection while handcuffing government and limiting it's role.

Reply to this post

Response to pa28 (Reply #8)

Wed Aug 14, 2013, 07:05 PM

12. I hope his outfit changed after two centuries

Reply to this post

Response to pa28 (Reply #8)

Thu Aug 15, 2013, 03:26 AM

16. Governments are supposed to be supreme to corporations. Corporations get their charters from the

states, and can have their charters revoked (in theory, anyway), right? Am I right? That's the way I was taught. Yep, I am sure that's how the world really works, so if it's not working that way, then we need to get to the bottom of it and start fixing some things. This TPP won't fix those things, it will, in fact, further solidify our world steadily morphing before our very eyes. This kind of thing threatens our very sovereignty as free people, and saddles us with a bunch of nonsense and crap.

Reply to this post

Wed Aug 14, 2013, 06:55 PM

9. K & R

Reply to this post

Wed Aug 14, 2013, 07:03 PM

11. K&R!

-p

Reply to this post

Wed Aug 14, 2013, 07:31 PM

14. Some aspect of Anonymous posted this to Twitter recently:

"When exposing a crime is treated as though the exposure is a crime - then you are ruled by criminals."

These criminals will applaud the arrival of millionaire and billionaire South East Asians who will run our prisons, our schools, and whatever else. Then this influx of population will prop up the real estate markets (whose homes are now mostly owned by the big banks after the illegal foreclosures.)

The fact that the discussions related to this TPP are so secret is yet another sign of the grotesquely criminal control over our society.

And please - be forewarned. I don't want anyone here trying to shuffle me and others off to the White House "gov" site that describes the TPP as a perfectly jolly and marvelous way to help Americans have a wonderful life due to exports... Stop and think about that for a moment - we as a nation are making very little these days. The only real export that is possible is the fracking results of natural gas - which will strip away our drinking water so the rich in this society can have even more summer homes and Rolexes.

Reply to this post

Wed Aug 14, 2013, 10:52 PM

15. Fact checking is important

This is a very detailed post which makes some pretty extreme claims -- yet in paragraph 2, it speaks of the Wall Street crash of 2007. Wall Street crashed in 2008 - a few months before the election. Remember both Obama and McCain going back to DC to address this - with Obama leading the Democratic effort very smoothly -- and McCain losing it?

I know this is picky, but if he has simple well known facts wrong, I really do not trust the quality of the analysis on things that are less well known.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread