HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Good Reads (Forum) » NY Times Sunday Magazine ...

Thu Feb 21, 2013, 09:35 PM

NY Times Sunday Magazine - The Extraordinary Science of Junk Food

On the evening of April 8, 1999, a long line of Town Cars and taxis pulled up to the Minneapolis headquarters of Pillsbury and discharged 11 men who controlled America’s largest food companies. Nestlé was in attendance, as were Kraft and Nabisco, General Mills and Procter & Gamble, Coca-Cola and Mars. Rivals any other day, the C.E.O.’s and company presidents had come together for a rare, private meeting. On the agenda was one item: the emerging obesity epidemic and how to deal with it. While the atmosphere was cordial, the men assembled were hardly friends. Their stature was defined by their skill in fighting one another for what they called “stomach share” — the amount of digestive space that any one company’s brand can grab from the competition.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/24/magazine/the-extraordinary-science-of-junk-food.html?src=me&ref=general&_r=0

3 replies, 1254 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 3 replies Author Time Post
Reply NY Times Sunday Magazine - The Extraordinary Science of Junk Food (Original post)
LiberalElite Feb 2013 OP
Viva_La_Revolution Feb 2013 #1
LiberalElite Feb 2013 #2
supernova Feb 2013 #3

Response to LiberalElite (Original post)

Thu Feb 21, 2013, 10:29 PM

1. I just got this as an e-book

I knew it was gonna make me sick to read it.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Viva_La_Revolution (Reply #1)

Sat Feb 23, 2013, 10:12 PM

2. i do want to read the book

Reply to this post

Response to LiberalElite (Original post)

Sat Feb 23, 2013, 11:26 PM

3. The End of Over Eating

by David Kessler (former head of the FDA)

covers much of the same territory in a very readable format. He goes into great detail about how and why certain modern (fast, cheap, available everywhere) foods are born and designed to keep you buying them.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/1605297852/?tag=googhydr-20&hvadid=3299546455&hvpos=1t1&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=4852156871786425542&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&ref=pd_sl_48554sac3s_b

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread