HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Good Reads (Forum) » After 35 Years, First Bla...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Thu Feb 21, 2013, 12:54 PM

After 35 Years, First Black Female Boy Scout Master Gets Her Due

http://www.news.stlpublicradio.org/post/after-35-years-first-black-female-boy-scout-master-gets-her-due

35 years ago, Kathy Hall was a single mother of three in search of a male role model for her then 7 year-old son. She decided to enroll him in her neighborhood Boy Scout troop, under the Grand Towers district. When she found out that there were no parents whatsoever involved in the troop, she took it upon herself to carry the gauntlet, and became the den mother to about 15 young cub scouts.

<snip>

‘The night that I was told that I had just became the first female scoutmaster in the country, I was also told that it would not be out because I was black. That was the bottom line," she says. She was upset, but chose to not rock the boat. "We’d had Miss America – she was black. We’ve had other black females that has succeeded, and I could not really understand.”

<snip>

Just because the times have changed, however, doesn’t mean that there have been a surplus of male leaders. She even keeps applications in her car, just in case. But her unique perspective allows for boys to learn how to be men from a completely different point of view. “We’re women – we know how we want to be treated. So we’re going to tell our sons how to treat people, how to be respectful how to be honest – these are the scouting ways.”

Even though she is now 62, battles regular health issues and long since retired from a day job, she says her life’s work as a scout master and trailblazer is far from finished.

5 replies, 898 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 5 replies Author Time Post
Reply After 35 Years, First Black Female Boy Scout Master Gets Her Due (Original post)
Gore1FL Feb 2013 OP
monmouth3 Feb 2013 #1
Macoy51 Feb 2013 #2
monmouth3 Feb 2013 #3
WilliamPitt Feb 2013 #4
Name removed Jul 2013 #5

Response to Gore1FL (Original post)

Thu Feb 21, 2013, 12:57 PM

1. You want something done, ask a woman..n/t

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to monmouth3 (Reply #1)

Fri Feb 22, 2013, 06:28 AM

2. Sarcasm?

Did you forget your sarcasm tag? or just sexist?

Macoy

Reply to this post

Response to Macoy51 (Reply #2)

Fri Feb 22, 2013, 06:31 AM

3. Neither one, just the truth...

Reply to this post

Response to monmouth3 (Reply #1)

Fri Feb 22, 2013, 07:55 AM

4. Results of Jury Service (yes, someone alerted on your post)

Complaint: Claiming you need to ask a woman to get anything done is incredibly sexist and implies men are worthless. I gave her a chance to say she was just joking, but she double downed and reinforced the serious intent of her message.

Results:

Juror #1 voted to LEAVE IT ALONE and said: What am I missing here?
Juror #2 voted to LEAVE IT ALONE and said: No explanation given
Juror #3 voted to LEAVE IT ALONE and said: This is a somewhat common saying. Without judging the accuracy of the statement, it isn't over the top. If the user making the report believes that the statement is inaccurate, the user should post an explanation why instead of trying to have the post removed.
Juror #4 voted to LEAVE IT ALONE and said: I think the alert is ridiculous as the person was clearly is supporting women.
Juror #5 voted to LEAVE IT ALONE and said: Seems a little oversensitive
Juror #6 voted to LEAVE IT ALONE and said: Huh? I see nothing wrong with the post. This alert seems petty.

Some people around here need new hobbies.

Reply to this post

Response to Gore1FL (Original post)

Reply to this thread