HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Good Reads (Forum) » South Americans face uphe...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Mon Feb 18, 2013, 03:41 AM

South Americans face upheaval or death over water supply

People streamed into the central square in Celendin, a small city in the Peruvian Andes, the morning of July 3, 2012. They were protesting the government’s support for Newmont Mining’s plan to take control of four lakes to make way for a new gold and copper mine. By midday, there were 3 000. Some hurled rocks at police and brandished clubs. Then assailants shot two officers and an army soldier in the leg.

Blocks away, construction worker Paulino Garcia left home on foot to buy groceries. As he approached the central square, he encountered chaos. People ran for cover as federal troops fired their weapons. One bullet struck Garcia as he watched the mayhem. It ripped open his chest and exited through his back. The 43-year-old father of two fell to the ground and died.

Another three people were shot and killed, and more than 20 were wounded. It was the deadliest clash in 18 months of protests in Peru’s Cajamarca region, where many residents say Newmont’s $5 billion (R44bn) Conga mine will take water their villages and farms need to survive.

Adelaida Tabaco, Garcia’s widow, 38, said: “The only thing the people want is water for families, but the mining companies want to take it. And soldiers will kill if you get in the way.“

More: http://www.iol.co.za/business/business-news/south-americans-face-upheaval-or-death-over-water-supply-1.1471738#.USHoUJPCsv9

11 replies, 1359 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 11 replies Author Time Post
Reply South Americans face upheaval or death over water supply (Original post)
UnrepentantLiberal Feb 2013 OP
littlemissmartypants Feb 2013 #1
leftyohiolib Feb 2013 #2
locks Feb 2013 #3
polly7 Feb 2013 #4
Mojorabbit Feb 2013 #5
NewmontMining Feb 2013 #6
UnrepentantLiberal Feb 2013 #7
ellisonz Feb 2013 #8
UnrepentantLiberal Feb 2013 #9
ellisonz Feb 2013 #10
UnrepentantLiberal Feb 2013 #11

Response to UnrepentantLiberal (Original post)

Mon Feb 18, 2013, 04:33 AM

1. WW III

H2O some say.

Love, Peace and Shelter. lmsp

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to littlemissmartypants (Reply #1)

Mon Feb 18, 2013, 06:38 AM

2. yes the water wars will be much worse than the oil wars

Reply to this post

Mon Feb 18, 2013, 01:35 PM

3. Sad history of US mining companies

Thank you for this post. I have followed the predatory practices of Newmont Mining for 30 years; it is headquartered in Denver and so many great people and grass-roots leaders in South America, the US, and around the world have fought this evil corporation at every level they could. Nothing has changed, in fact the lives of the miners and indigenous peoples living near Newmont mines have worsened. Newmont has bought and paid for its favors from Colorado to the high courts of Peru and other underdeveloped nations. And they are allowed to use their billions in profits to spew lies about their environmental, social, and business practices in propaganda around the world. We can never expect these corporations (or their shareholders) to become socially ethical, especially since Citizens United. As with the sad and cruel international ivory trade, the only way we will make any difference is for the developed countries and all of us to finally decide that we can live without ivory and gold but we cannot live on a polluted planet without water.

Reply to this post

Response to locks (Reply #3)

Mon Feb 18, 2013, 01:43 PM

4. Canadian mining companies also have a pretty rotten history

in Latin America. Goldcorp has a miserable record re exploitation and human rights.

Reply to this post

Mon Feb 18, 2013, 08:41 PM

5. marking to read later! nt

Reply to this post

Response to NewmontMining (Reply #6)

Tue Feb 19, 2013, 12:54 PM

7. Horse shit.

Reply to this post

Response to UnrepentantLiberal (Reply #7)

Tue Feb 19, 2013, 01:32 PM

8. I read his horse shit

And I still side with those opposed to new open pit mining of gold and copper in northern Peru.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/29/peru-conga-gold-mine-project_n_1840329.html

Reply to this post

Response to ellisonz (Reply #8)

Tue Feb 19, 2013, 01:35 PM

9. Now that truely is a post from a paid corporate shill.

Reply to this post

Response to UnrepentantLiberal (Reply #9)

Tue Feb 19, 2013, 01:47 PM

10. True That

From the Newmont Website (i.e. publicly available information attached to their press releases):

Diane Reberger, 1-303-967-9455, diane.reberger@newmont.com

http://newmont.com/our-investors/press-releases/2012/10312012

Perhaps we should thank them for their short brief visit?

They would really have us believe that if they destroy four lakes for their pit mine and then replace them with four reservoirs everything would be the same environmentally?

Does this person have a conscience?

Reply to this post

Response to ellisonz (Reply #10)

Tue Feb 19, 2013, 01:58 PM

11. No.

No conscience at all.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread