HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Good Reads (Forum) » San Bernardino County she...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Sat Feb 16, 2013, 04:48 AM

San Bernardino County sheriff details final shootout with Dorner

A ceramic angel stands over the destroyed cabin in Angelus Oaks. Dental records were used to confirm that the human remains found inside the structure were indeed those of fugitive ex-cop Christopher Dorner.

BY Phil Wilson, Nicole Santa Cruz and Louis Sahagun
Los Angeles Times
February 16, 2013

Fugitive Christopher Dorner spent his final hours barricaded inside a mountain cabin armed with a high-powered sniper rifle, smoke bombs and a cache of ammo, shooting to kill and ignoring commands to surrender until a single gunshot ended his life, authorities said Friday.

The evidence indicates that Dorner, a fired Los Angeles police officer suspected of killing four people and wounding three others, held a gun to his head and fired while the Big Bear area cabin he was holed up in caught fire, ignited by police tear gas.

San Bernardino County Sheriff John McMahon, during a news conference Friday, offered the most detailed account yet of the manhunt and final shootout, which left one of his deputies dead and another seriously wounded. McMahon steadfastly defended the tactics used by his agency, dismissing assertions that deputies may have botched the hunt for Dorner or deliberately set the cabin on fire.

"We stand confident in our actions on that fateful day," he said. "The bottom line is the deputy sheriffs of this department, and the law enforcement officers from the surrounding area, did an outstanding job. They ran into the line of fire. They were being shot at, and didn't turn around in retreat."

More: http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-dorner-20130216,0,3243239.story

1 replies, 559 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 1 replies Author Time Post
Reply San Bernardino County sheriff details final shootout with Dorner (Original post)
UnrepentantLiberal Feb 2013 OP
Light House Feb 2013 #1

Response to UnrepentantLiberal (Original post)

Sat Feb 16, 2013, 11:24 AM

1. My highest praise to these brave LEO

that had to face this monster in the final hours of his miserable life. I'm glad that the Sheriff is admitting that they're "burner" cannisters accidentally started the fire and not done purposely like some here on this board have accused LE of doing.
I hope that the families this murdering monster can find some sort of closure now that he's deceased and no longer a threat to them or the country.

Good job to all the Law Enforcement Officers on the scene on that chaotic day.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread