HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Good Reads (Forum) » Wikileaks Is A Rare Truth...

Thu Feb 14, 2013, 08:29 AM

Wikileaks Is A Rare Truth Teller. Smearing Julian Assange Is Shameful - Pilger

By John Pilger

Thursday, February 14, 2013

Last December, I stood with supporters of WikiLeaks and Julian Assange in the bitter cold outside the Ecuadorean embassy in London. Candles were lit; the faces were young and old and from all over the world. They were there to demonstrate their human solidarity with someone whose guts they admired. They were in no doubt about the importance of what Assange had revealed and achieved, and the grave dangers he now faced. Absent entirely were the lies, spite, jealousy, opportunism and pathetic animus of a few who claim the right to guard the limits of informed public debate.

These public displays of warmth for Assange are common and seldom reported. Several thousand people packed Sydney Town Hall, with hundreds spilling into the street. In New York recently, Assange was awarded the Yoko Ono Lennon Prize for Courage. In the audience was Daniel Ellsberg, who risked all to leak the truth about the barbarism of the Vietnam war.

Like the philanthropist Jemima Khan, the investigative journalist Phillip Knightley, the acclaimed film-maker Ken Loach and others lost bail money in standing up for Julian Assange. “The US is out to crush someone who has revealed its dirty secrets,” Loach wrote to me. “Extradition via Sweden is more than likely …is it difficult to choose whom to support?”

No, it is not difficult.

Full Article: http://www.zcommunications.org/wikileaks-is-a-rare-truth-teller-smearing-julian-assange-is-shameful-by-john-pilger

17 replies, 2369 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 17 replies Author Time Post
Reply Wikileaks Is A Rare Truth Teller. Smearing Julian Assange Is Shameful - Pilger (Original post)
polly7 Feb 2013 OP
LiberalLovinLug Feb 2013 #1
polly7 Feb 2013 #11
rachel1 Feb 2013 #2
struggle4progress Feb 2013 #3
nxylas Feb 2013 #6
struggle4progress Feb 2013 #7
struggle4progress Feb 2013 #12
nxylas Feb 2013 #13
struggle4progress Feb 2013 #4
struggle4progress Feb 2013 #5
geek tragedy Feb 2013 #8
struggle4progress Feb 2013 #9
geek tragedy Feb 2013 #10
struggle4progress Feb 2013 #15
truth2power Feb 2013 #14
LiberalLovinLug Feb 2013 #16
midnight Feb 2013 #17

Response to polly7 (Original post)

Thu Feb 14, 2013, 12:42 PM

1. thanks for this article

It heartening to hear other voices.

The blackout of not only Assange but any imagery of support he has is appalling though not surprising.

How can there be any left who doubt the main stream corporate owned media have an agenda to discredit the importance of this man and the organization he started.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to LiberalLovinLug (Reply #1)

Sat Feb 16, 2013, 06:02 PM

11. You're very welcome.

I've read other accounts from time to time of huge support for Assange but Pilger, to me, is one of the most trustworthy, intelligent, journalists out there, and this one caught my eye. Of course it isn't in MSM's interest to show any of his support ...... he's been doing the job they were too scared to or were paid not to do.

Reply to this post

Response to polly7 (Original post)

Thu Feb 14, 2013, 08:10 PM

2. K&R nt

Reply to this post