HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Good Reads (Forum) » John Brennan CIA drone he...

Tue Feb 12, 2013, 06:37 AM

John Brennan CIA drone hearing repeats hideous history: Mallick

http://www.thestar.com/opinion/editorialopinion/2013/02/11/john_brennan_cia_drone_hearing_repeats_hideous_history_mallick.html

American wars since 1945 in Korea, Vietnam, Iraq and Afghanistan have been conducted in the classic American style, which is to bomb.

John Brennan CIA drone hearing repeats hideous history: Mallick
By: Heather Mallick Columnist, Published on Mon Feb 11 2013

~snip~

I started my fall into this moral sinkhole with Nick Turse’s Kill Anything That Moves, a new study of the Vietnam War, part of the American Empire Project which aims, despairingly, to analyze U.S. imperial aspirations.

It offers a new view from classified documents that show that the My Lai massacre was not the aberration that the U.S. wanted it to appear to be, but a run-of-the-mill event. It was a war built on crimes — widespread civilian slaughter, rape (including child rape), torture (including sexual torture), deliberate indiscriminate frenzied destruction — that have never come to light.

The U.S. viewed the Vietnamese as subhuman, that convenient means of evaporating human decency. It invaded Afghanistan, as with Vietnam, hoping to win hearts and minds. It invaded Iraq on trumped-up charges, as with Vietnam, without even knowing the difference between Sunni and Shiite, as though Muslims were all the same. Again, it expected to be welcomed.

American wars since World War II have almost always been waged against non-whites — Korea, Vietnam, Iraq, Afghanistan, to name but a few campaigns conducted in the classic American style, which is to bomb.

0 replies, 524 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Reply to this thread