HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Good Reads (Forum) » Microsoft Alum Calls Wind...

Mon Jan 28, 2013, 11:37 PM

Microsoft Alum Calls Windows 8 'A Much Deadlier Assault Weapon' Than Windows 7

This article may explain Microsoft's thinking with Windows 8.

Windows 8 is just what Microsoft needs to take advantage of the ongoing irreversible shift from PCs to handheld devices including iPads, iPhones and other form factors yet to be designed, according to the company's former OEM chief.

Just as Windows 7 won instant popularity after the debacle of Vista, Windows 8 is poised to capture business from phone and tablet leaders such as Apple, only to greater effect, says Joachim Kempin, former Microsoft senior vice president in charge of OEMs who worked for the company from 1983 to 2002.

"Windows 7 spearheaded a comparably small rejuvenation," Kempin says in his just-released book "Resolve and Fortitude: Microsoft's Secret Power Broker Breaks his Silence". "I predict Windows 8 is readied as a much deadlier assault weapon."
<snip>

He says that shift potentially signals the end of notebooks and PCs, not just media tablets. A strength of Windows 8 is its common interface and navigation across all devices, he says.

"No need to bother with the annoyance of having to remember different key strokes or gestures when switching between devices or operating them with a mouse or a touch screen," Kempin says. "Neither Apple nor Google have ever accomplished such uniformity."
<snip>

http://www.cio.com/article/727454/Microsoft_Alum_Calls_Windows_8_A_Much_Deadlier_Assault_Weapon_Than_Windows_7

24 replies, 2838 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 24 replies Author Time Post
Reply Microsoft Alum Calls Windows 8 'A Much Deadlier Assault Weapon' Than Windows 7 (Original post)
Renew Deal Jan 2013 OP
Confusious Jan 2013 #1
Skinner Jan 2013 #2
Renew Deal Jan 2013 #3
still_one Jan 2013 #4
Renew Deal Jan 2013 #6
mojowork_n Jan 2013 #7
still_one Jan 2013 #8
Romulus Quirinus Jan 2013 #11
AdHocSolver Feb 2013 #23
Benton D Struckcheon Jan 2013 #5
bemildred Jan 2013 #9
eppur_se_muova Jan 2013 #10
bemildred Jan 2013 #12
uriel1972 Jan 2013 #13
caraher Jan 2013 #15
jsr Jan 2013 #17
goclark Jan 2013 #14
Gormy Cuss Jan 2013 #16
goclark Jan 2013 #18
Gormy Cuss Jan 2013 #19
goclark Jan 2013 #20
Gormy Cuss Jan 2013 #21
goclark Feb 2013 #22
goclark Feb 2013 #24

Response to Renew Deal (Original post)

Mon Jan 28, 2013, 11:47 PM

1. It looks like shit

I hate it.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Mon Jan 28, 2013, 11:51 PM

2. I agree that there is a method to the madness.

I have a Windows 8 laptop, and I have found the Metro interface to be an annoyance that puts up additional obstacles without providing any obvious benefit.

It is obvious that this is a play to use their Windows monopoly to get a foothold into the tablet/phone market. This is why Microsoft does not give you any way to automatically bypass or switch off Metro. This is why they took away the Start menu. They are forcing users of windows to become familiar with Metro, in hopes that that familiarity will lead us to buy a Windows tablet or phone. And it might actually work for people who have not yet purchased a tablet.

Reply to this post

Response to Skinner (Reply #2)

Mon Jan 28, 2013, 11:54 PM

3. I tried to use Metro when I first got Win 8.

It was OK. DU looked really good in the Metro IE10 browser, but I eventually got tired of it. It wasn't as useful for me as working off of the desktop. Now I only use Metro to start programs. It's a bit of a distraction more than anything else.

Reply to this post

Mon Jan 28, 2013, 11:54 PM

4. Sorry but pcs will be needed for quite some time. People will need word processors, spreadsheets,

Editors, that require full size keyboards.

Reply to this post

Response to still_one (Reply #4)

Tue Jan 29, 2013, 12:01 AM

6. Will people require full sized PC's?

A lot of where computing is going is to remote apps and services. That's sort of the idea with the Chromebook. It's basically a laptop that runs a browser. Everything else is done remotely. You can use a keyboard with almost any device.

If you look at the device below, it is a tablet with a keyboard attachment.

Reply to this post

Response to Renew Deal (Reply #6)

Tue Jan 29, 2013, 12:40 AM

7. I wouldn't want to use that for work.

Adobe Creative Suite is available through "the cloud" but I need a mouse and keyboard, at least. Not flat keys and that lame scroll pad.
For Photoshop and Illustrator.

Reply to this post

Tue Jan 29, 2013, 12:47 AM

8. that keyboard will not cut it, and the GUI isn't made for a desktop

Reply to this post

Tue Jan 29, 2013, 04:32 PM

11. I've seen that keyboard somewhere...

Reply to this post

Sat Feb 2, 2013, 06:18 PM

23. People who use remote apps and services would not be so eager if...

...they saw how the "sausage" is made.

With all of the virus attacks, hacks, and buggy software out in the real world, it amazes me how little concern people have about privacy and security.

With the widespread abuse of people's private information by corporations, the trust people put in these companies is even more amazing.

Corporations like to dazzle and overwhelm their customers with a lot of "clever" and "cute" features in the form of "feature bloat" while downplaying the insecurity and lack of privacy of their customers' information due to "buggy" software or outright corrupt practices.

Having worked as a computer programmer, I have seen the "sausage" being made.

Reply to this post

Mon Jan 28, 2013, 11:55 PM

5. Huh?

This is simply not true. Apple's stuff is uniform. I have a Macbook Air, and I can use the mouse with the same motions I use on my phone. My wife has an iPad, and I can pick that up and use it without a problem. iPad and iPhone are the same thing except of course that there are more things you can do on the iPad. This guy doesn't know what he's talking about.
However, I will say that I went from my old Windows phone to an Android and quickly ditched that for an iPhone. I would have gone with another Windows phone if that had been a viable option. Windows on a phone was definitely superior to Android, and would easily give iOS a run for its money as well. But Microsoft is going to have a very tough time breaking into the iOS/Android duopoly at this point. Not impossible, but it will be very hard.

Reply to this post

Tue Jan 29, 2013, 09:23 AM

9. "In The Beginning Was The Command Line"

About twenty years ago Jobs and Wozniak, the founders of Apple, came up with the very strange idea of selling information processing machines for use in the home. The business took off, and its founders made a lot of money and received the credit they deserved for being daring visionaries. But around the same time, Bill Gates and Paul Allen came up with an idea even stranger and more fantastical: selling computer operating systems. This was much weirder than the idea of Jobs and Wozniak. A computer at least had some sort of physical reality to it. It came in a box, you could open it up and plug it in and watch lights blink. An operating system had no tangible incarnation at all. It arrived on a disk, of course, but the disk was, in effect, nothing more than the box that the OS came in. The product itself was a very long string of ones and zeroes that, when properly installed and coddled, gave you the ability to manipulate other very long strings of ones and zeroes. Even those few who actually understood what a computer operating system was were apt to think of it as a fantastically arcane engineering prodigy, like a breeder reactor or a U-2 spy plane, and not something that could ever be (in the parlance of high-tech) "productized."

http://www.cryptonomicon.com/beginning.html

Reply to this post

Tue Jan 29, 2013, 12:58 PM

10. Not the death of all "PC's" -- just Wintel boxes.

MS does not dictate the market, just their share of it. If they're trying to force serious users onto other platforms, they may well succeed.

Reply to this post

Wed Jan 30, 2013, 08:25 AM

12. Sounds pretty ignorant, there is nothing new in grovelling over inteface portability and uniformity.

The problem is that every new engineer has to re-engineer things to show he's the boss, not that it's hard to do.

Reply to this post

Wed Jan 30, 2013, 08:40 AM

13. Does anybody else find the weapon imagery a little disturbing?

Maybe I'm just a little sensitive.

Reply to this post

Response to uriel1972 (Reply #13)

Wed Jan 30, 2013, 07:30 PM

15. I agree

It's way over the top... I was expecting a story about some insidious feature of the new OS that could lead to real-world destruction. Instead all they meant was they thought Micro$soft could boost their market share.

So apparently an OS being an "assault weapon" is supposed to be a good thing?

Reply to this post

Response to uriel1972 (Reply #13)

Thu Jan 31, 2013, 11:29 AM

17. It's stupid.

Win 8 is crap.

Reply to this post

Wed Jan 30, 2013, 10:24 AM

14. I have 8 and HATE IT!

It has a lot of stuff on it that is not hardly needed for a Senior like me and/or the average computer person that just wants to send nice emails and search for something or go to their "Favorites" from time to time.

Yahoo does not do it for me -- I liked Microsoft Email because you can do fancy clip art and stuff --yes yahoo has that option but its not as cool.

I was very happy with my 7 version

Reply to this post

Thu Jan 31, 2013, 03:20 AM

16. Windows 9 will be awesome

because Windows 8 is the new Vista.

Reply to this post

Response to Gormy Cuss (Reply #16)

Thu Jan 31, 2013, 04:55 PM

18. When will 9 be out?

Unless it is free, I can't deal with it -- it's got to be much better than 8 for sure!

Reply to this post

Response to goclark (Reply #18)

Thu Jan 31, 2013, 05:53 PM

19. I was being snarky, but Microsoft has a pattern of following up a good release with a stinker

and vice versa. Windows8 isn't bad if you're using it on a touch screen. It's just incredibly clunky when using other pointing devices like mice and touchpads. Because it's so clunky many users give up and work off the desktop or patch in third party work-around software.

Reply to this post

Response to Gormy Cuss (Reply #19)

Thu Jan 31, 2013, 10:08 PM

20. Thanks for the input ~ I am sick of using my Dell

new computer -- I've had it about 3 weeks!

Don't like the Windows 8 at all!

I think I would do better if I sold it and got an IPAD ~
I have a Kindle Fire but I need something bigger than a Kindle Fire to take the place of this damn Dell/windows eight.

Can I use my Logitech universal keyboard that I love with the IPAD?

I don't do many things on my computer -- I am a Senior and I want to use it to do cute emails ( hate the yahoo email however-) I will so miss Microsoft for that one feature . I also Store my photos, not many and keep my WORD Documents.

Can I install Windows 7 on a Kindle IPAD

And of course, I check into Ancestry and DU everyday. : )

Reply to this post

Response to goclark (Reply #20)

Thu Jan 31, 2013, 11:01 PM

21. Use the Desktop tile

It helps a lot.

Reply to this post

Response to Gormy Cuss (Reply #21)

Sat Feb 2, 2013, 04:30 PM

22. Thanks!

I'll keep Windows 8

Reply to this post

Response to Gormy Cuss (Reply #21)

Fri Feb 8, 2013, 02:17 PM

24. I missed that - I use my Logitech

keyboard and it works great. Because I have a vision problem my computer tech had me to get a wide screen, bigger than my laptop and now the picture becomes my Laptop. It's great!
Now one problem continues, I get Pop Ups Vidos and can't move the damn thing until the AD is finished. It drives me crazy and I never had that problem with Windows 7.

My Tech is coming today : (

Just saw another issue with Windows 8, I finished a post and then I noticed two instances of the words that were BLUE! When you click on those two words, it is a small pop up AD!

I hate Windows 8!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
PS/ I hope that is not coming from DU because that would really disappoint me.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread