HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Good Reads (Forum) » Prosecutor defends action...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Fri Jan 18, 2013, 01:53 AM

Prosecutor defends actions on Aaron Swartz

A federal prosecutor is pushing back against the claim by the grieving family of Internet activist Aaron Swartz that "prosecutorial overreach" was a factor in his suicide, saying her office acted "fairly and responsibly."

-snip-

But the U.S. attorney for Massachusetts, Carmen M. Ortiz, disputed their account of events in a statement released late Wednesday, while expressing her sympathy "as a parent and a sister" for their loss.

"I know that there is little I can say to abate the anger felt by those who believe that this office's prosecution of Mr. Swartz was unwarranted and somehow led to the tragic result of him taking his own life," she said.

"I must, however, make clear that this office's conduct was appropriate in bringing and handling this case. The career prosecutors handling this matter took on the difficult task of enforcing a law they had taken an oath to uphold, and did so reasonably."

More: http://www.cnn.com/2013/01/17/tech/aaron-swartz-death/index.html

1 replies, 486 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 1 replies Author Time Post
Reply Prosecutor defends actions on Aaron Swartz (Original post)
UnrepentantLiberal Jan 2013 OP
dkf Jan 2013 #1

Response to UnrepentantLiberal (Original post)

Fri Jan 18, 2013, 02:00 AM

1. Fairly and responsibly? This woman is delusional and a menace who needs to be removed.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread