HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Good Reads (Forum) » Our Winners, and a Reply

Thu Jan 17, 2013, 10:14 PM

Our Winners, and a Reply

In our Inauguration Breakfast drawing, our national winner is Kathleen K., in New York City. Our local winner is Catherine S., in Orlando. We got off to a slow start, but in the end, almost 2000 of our supporters participated. Thank you to each one of you.

I know that this may come as a shock, but I actually read, personally, many of the comments that are sent to our campaign. I canít respond to each one, of course Ė there are thousands and thousands. But I try to listen and learn.

Several of our supporters pointed out that they couldnít participate in the drawing, because they have to work on Inauguration Day. Thatís an interesting point, because this year, Inauguration Day happens to coincide with a federal holiday, Martin Luther King, Jr.ís birthday. Regular readers will recall that on Thanksgiving Day, I visited a WalMart in Orlando, and handed out turkey sandwiches and chips to WalMart employees who unfortunately had to work that evening. I feel the same way about Martin Luther King, Jr.ís birthday. If you canít go to see your Presidentís inauguration because you are being forced to work on a federal holiday, then something is wrong with that picture. Thatís why I introduced the Paid Vacation Act in 2009, which would give every worker at large companies at least five days of paid vacation, of their own choosing, each year. There are more than 20 million working Americans who never get a day off. If you happen to be one of them, then Iím sorry, and Iím trying to help.

Several other supporters said that they just donít have $25 to give to our campaign, for this reason or any other. I understand that, too. There have been times in my own life when the same thing was true for me. It galls me to see someone toss off $100,000,000 to buy and sell political candidates, when some of us have trouble coming up with $25. But from time to time, Iím going to ask you to help anyway, because Iíd rather ask Mr. or Ms. $25 for support than to have to beg Mr. $100M. Our campaign demonstrates, time after time, that all those sawbucks, added together, are enough to win. And if enough People Power candidates win, then the People win Power.

Every once in a while, a whole bunch of small fish eat that big fish.

Courage,

Congressman Alan Grayson

4 replies, 858 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 4 replies Author Time Post
Reply Our Winners, and a Reply (Original post)
Alan Grayson Jan 2013 OP
longship Jan 2013 #1
cbrer Jan 2013 #2
ReRe Jan 2013 #3
freshwest Jan 2013 #4

Response to Alan Grayson (Original post)

Thu Jan 17, 2013, 10:54 PM

1. And thank you, Rep. Grayson.

DU has your back.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Thu Jan 17, 2013, 10:59 PM

2. Bush lied, people died

Is this really a bumper sticker on your car? Wiki says it is.

If so you have a set of big brass cojones sir...

We are with you.

Reply to this post

Fri Jan 18, 2013, 12:59 AM

3. Hello, Congressman Grayson!

K&R

Congratulations to you and to the drawing winners! Just seen you a minute ago on John Fugelsang's Viewpoint on Current.

Seems like everything is going to Hell in a handbasket in this country, but when it all gets me down, I just think of you. Just thinking of you snaps me right out of the doldrums. Because to me you represent HOPE!

Thank you so much for keeping in touch with your DU fan club. We are so proud that you are on board here!
Cheers on this most historic MLK, Jr Day!

Reply to this post

Fri Jan 18, 2013, 01:28 AM

4. How about state and federal holidays on election days? Would help a great deal

Great work and intent, Mr. Grayson. Thanks.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread