HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Good Reads (Forum) » How Senate Democrats, not...

Wed Jan 16, 2013, 05:21 PM

How Senate Democrats, not just House Republicans, will block gun control

Vice-President Biden's group will make recommendations to President Obama this week on gun control. Majorities of Americans support numerous new gun restrictions, yet I'm pessimistic that anything will get through Congress. Why?

You might expect me to cite the Republican-controlled House, but the chances that the Democratic-controlled Senate will pass anything are not much better.

So, I don't think you can count on any red state Senate Democrat who is running in 2014. Taking away these six leaves the pro-control caucus with 53 votes in the Senate, at most even with the four Republicans. Counting Hagan and Pryor only leaves the pro-control caucus with 55 votes.

That's why the smart analysis says that the chances of Congress passing serious gun control legislation decrease by the day. The House is a foregone conclusion. When all these numbers start getting added together, I'm not even sure you can find a simple majority of senators to agree on tougher gun control. A filibuster-proof majority, meanwhile, is likely impossible.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2013/jan/15/senate-democrats-block-gun-control

Obama needs support he's not likely to get. If he had focused on keeping criminals from getting guns through straw purchasing and theft, and on keeping them out of the hands of the mentally disqualified persons and children, he could have won a victory for safety.

Keeping AR-15 style rifles and standard magazines from being purchased by ANY ordinary American is not quite as popular as many imagine, and it will become less popular as time goes by.

4 replies, 879 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 4 replies Author Time Post
Reply How Senate Democrats, not just House Republicans, will block gun control (Original post)
TPaine7 Jan 2013 OP
Buzz Clik Jan 2013 #1
TPaine7 Jan 2013 #2
russspeakeasy Jan 2013 #3
TPaine7 Jan 2013 #4

Response to TPaine7 (Original post)

Wed Jan 16, 2013, 05:23 PM

1. Nothing shocking here -- we have met the enemy, and he is us.

We can thank our Dem representatives in Congress for the awesome healthcare bill, and we can look forward to more of the same for gun control.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Buzz Clik (Reply #1)

Wed Jan 16, 2013, 05:28 PM

2. The sad thing is, straw purchasing, theft and gun security and mental health reporting

need to be addressed, but they won't be.

It may be that only a Republican president will be able to address these legitimate issues successfully. As they say, only Nixon could have reached out to China.

(Just so everyone is clear, I'm no fan of Nixon; that wasn't my point.)

Reply to this post

Response to TPaine7 (Original post)

Wed Jan 16, 2013, 05:44 PM

3. I think you are wrong.

Reply to this post

Response to russspeakeasy (Reply #3)

Wed Jan 16, 2013, 05:46 PM

4. Please elaborate. nt

Reply to this post