HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Good Reads (Forum) » Prosecutor in Aaron Swart...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Wed Jan 16, 2013, 06:47 AM

Prosecutor in Aaron Swartz 'hacking' case comes under fire

Carmen Ortiz was being talked about last month as the next Massachusetts governor. Now she's being investigated for threatening the late Aaron Swartz with decades in prison.

By Declan McCullagh
CNET
Jan 15, 2013

A politically ambitious Justice Department official who oversaw the criminal case against Aaron Swartz has come under fire for alleged prosecutorial abuses that led the 26-year-old online activist to take his own life.

Carmen Ortiz, 57, the U.S. attorney for Massachusetts who was selected by President Obama, compared the online activist -- accused of downloading a large number of academic papers -- to a common criminal in a 2011 press release. "Stealing is stealing whether you use a computer command or a crowbar," Ortiz said at the time. Last fall, her office slapped Swartz with 10 additional charges that carried a maximum penalty of 50 years in prison.

"He was killed by the government," Swartz's father, Robert, said at his son's funeral in Highland Park, Ill., today, according to a report in the Chicago Sun Times.

Last Wednesday, less than three months before the criminal trial was set to begin, Ortiz's office formally rejected a deal that would have kept Swartz out of prison. Two days later, Swartz killed himself.

More: http://news.cnet.com/8301-13578_3-57564212-38/prosecutor-in-aaron-swartz-hacking-case-comes-under-fire/

7 replies, 1150 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread

Response to UnrepentantLiberal (Original post)

Wed Jan 16, 2013, 06:53 AM

1. When I was his age, we would have called her a "narc"...eom

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Kolesar (Reply #1)

Wed Jan 16, 2013, 08:21 AM

5. I got another word to describe her.

It is one of two words on this board that would result in a jury being empaneled.

Reply to this post

Wed Jan 16, 2013, 07:05 AM

2. He should have cooked the books for a company or something along with this

The government would have laughed off charges for him then.

Reply to this post

Wed Jan 16, 2013, 07:58 AM

3. How many bankers has she gone after?

I'd ben zero. I hope she's pissed her political career away. It's the least we can do is keep her out of higher office.

Reply to this post

Wed Jan 16, 2013, 08:11 AM

4. Good. A few more lose their careers over this sort of stupidity, maybe they will think twice. nt

Reply to this post

Wed Jan 16, 2013, 09:40 AM

6. A lot of DOJ people have gone way overboard against "hackers." No distinction being made between

commercial criminal data theft types and online activists like Aaron who act out of principle that public information shouldn't be commoditized and hidden behind pay walls.

Reply to this post

Wed Jan 16, 2013, 10:44 AM

7. US Attorneys are constantly harassing people and putting them in prison for Medical Marijuana

and year after year little notice is taken of that. On DU, many posters defend their actions because they are Obama appointees when they raid clinics that are legal under the laws of their State.
I hope this case is not seen as something new or unique and I also hope that the empathy shown to this man for unreasonable prosecution might also be shown to others who are under attack by US Attorneys who want to become Governors and thus use citizens as ladders to climb upon, while they allow all the meth dealers and bankers to do as they please.

"Dear Mr. President:

I am writing to you as a wife and mother of two young daughters, whose 34-year old husband, Matthew Davies, faces 10 years or more in federal prison for providing medical marijuana to sick people in California, even though he complied with state law concerning medicinal cannabis. My questions to you are simple:

What has my husband done that would justify the federal government forcing my young daughters to grow up without a father?

How can your Administration ignore the will of the California people and prosecute this good, law-abiding man for doing exactly what state law permits? "
http://www.democraticunderground.com/?com=view_post&forum=1016&pid=53121

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread