HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Good Reads (Forum) » A Letter to the President...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Tue Jan 15, 2013, 12:43 AM

A Letter to the President: My Husband Is Not the "Bigger Fish to Fry" in Your Drug War

President Barack Obama
The White House
1600 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW
Washington, DC 20500

Dear Mr. President:

I am writing to you as a wife and mother of two young daughters, whose 34-year old husband, Matthew Davies, faces 10 years or more in federal prison for providing medical marijuana to sick people in California, even though he complied with state law concerning medicinal cannabis. My questions to you are simple:

What has my husband done that would justify the federal government forcing my young daughters to grow up without a father?

How can your Administration ignore the will of the California people and prosecute this good, law-abiding man for doing exactly what state law permits?

Mr. President, my husband is not a criminal and shouldn't be treated like one. Matt is not a drug dealer or trafficker. He's not driving around in a fancy car and living in some plush mansion--trust me. My husband is a regular guy, and we're a regular, middle-class family. Yet even though Matt took great pains to follow state and local law, he is currently facing a severe prison sentence. This all seems so surreal.

Last month you told Barbara Walters that federal law enforcement authorities would not go after people in Colorado and Washington for marijuana-related crimes because it makes no sense for the government to "focus on recreational drug users in a state that has already said that under state law that's legal." You said that the federal government has "bigger fish to fry."

If that's true, why are federal prosecutors in Sacramento threatening my husband, Matt, with 10 years to life in federal prison for providing medical marijuana to California patients who are legally allowed to possess and use it? Matt did nothing illegal under our state and local laws. He has no criminal record. He is a hard-working family man and a loving, kind husband and father.

MOre at Link: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/molly-davies/a-letter-to-the-president_3_b_2469267.html?ncid=edlinkusaolp00000009

We are confused and absolutely terrified.

29 replies, 2321 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 29 replies Author Time Post
Reply A Letter to the President: My Husband Is Not the "Bigger Fish to Fry" in Your Drug War (Original post)
Bennyboy Jan 2013 OP
daleanime Jan 2013 #1
Angry Dragon Jan 2013 #2
WCGreen Jan 2013 #3
zeemike Jan 2013 #5
Granny M Jan 2013 #14
truedelphi Jan 2013 #4
zeemike Jan 2013 #6
ReRe Jan 2013 #7
UnrepentantLiberal Jan 2013 #9
Why Syzygy Jan 2013 #11
Demo_Chris Jan 2013 #15
zeemike Jan 2013 #17
UnrepentantLiberal Jan 2013 #18
Bozita Jan 2013 #8
TeamPooka Jan 2013 #10
Why Syzygy Jan 2013 #12
Granny M Jan 2013 #13
Kurovski Jan 2013 #16
Bennyboy Jan 2013 #19
Bluenorthwest Jan 2013 #20
WillyT Jan 2013 #21
Dragonfli Jan 2013 #22
BridgeTheGap Jan 2013 #23
Geodude Jan 2013 #24
dsc Jan 2013 #25
indepat Jan 2013 #26
truedelphi Jan 2013 #27
idwiyo Jan 2013 #28
Uncle Joe Jan 2013 #29

Response to Bennyboy (Original post)

Tue Jan 15, 2013, 12:53 AM

1. .......

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Tue Jan 15, 2013, 01:00 AM

2. rec and kick

Reply to this post

Tue Jan 15, 2013, 01:00 AM

3. And yet the bankers roam the country unpunished....

Reply to this post

Response to WCGreen (Reply #3)

Tue Jan 15, 2013, 02:16 AM

5. Yes but they are stealing millions.

And apparently that makes you a job creator of something.

Reply to this post

Response to zeemike (Reply #5)

Tue Jan 15, 2013, 03:18 AM

14. Job creators, my ass.

The dispensaries are small businesses creating jobs in the community. Just the type that Obama supposedly wants to protect. WTF???

Reply to this post

Tue Jan 15, 2013, 01:35 AM

4. When I think of this administration, that allows the very people who destroyed our economy

To now run our economy, and meanwhile people who were helping others via the medical marijuana, voter-approved laws of the state of California become meat for the prosecutors in DOJ, I am reminded of Aldous Huxley:

"Most men and women will grow up to love their servitude, and will never dream of revolution."

Anyway from watching how the Obama Administration has torn asunder so many medical marijuana dispensaries here in California, and seen to the unemployment fo the workers, and in some cases the outright arrests, my message for the people of Colorado and Washington State is this one: Be careful. You cannot trust this President.

Reply to this post

Response to truedelphi (Reply #4)

Tue Jan 15, 2013, 02:20 AM

6. I don't think you can trust any president.

Cause the awful truth may well be that he don't run things...in fact I am sure he does not.
I don't think we see the faces and hear the names of the ones who really call the shot.

Reply to this post

Response to zeemike (Reply #6)

Tue Jan 15, 2013, 02:27 AM

7. Agree..

Reply to this post

Response to zeemike (Reply #6)

Tue Jan 15, 2013, 02:42 AM

9. That's not true at all.

He could do something about it if he wanted to. This is what he wants.

Reply to this post

Response to UnrepentantLiberal (Reply #9)

Tue Jan 15, 2013, 02:53 AM

11. Agreed .

In fact I think he may have promised to not send the Feds into states.
He has plenty of power to control his own justice department.

Reply to this post

Tue Jan 15, 2013, 03:54 AM

15. Yep.

Reply to this post

Tue Jan 15, 2013, 04:59 AM

17. And you know this how?

I can only surmise you have had intimate conversations with him...cause that is what it would take for me to say that with any confidence....and even then I could be fooled.

I really want to arrest Karl Rove and bring him to justice...and I could do something about it too...track him down and try to make a citizens arrest....but it would be me that went to jail...and that would not get me what I wanted.
so I can't do what I want to do...only what they allow me to do...which in case of Karl Rove, nothing.

Reply to this post

Response to zeemike (Reply #17)

Tue Jan 15, 2013, 07:12 AM

18. You're right.

The POTUS is a ceremonial position, much like the British Royal Family. Obama has little control over anything.

Reply to this post

Tue Jan 15, 2013, 02:36 AM

8. K&R for truth ... Bigtime!

Reply to this post

Tue Jan 15, 2013, 02:49 AM

10. k+r!

Reply to this post

Tue Jan 15, 2013, 02:55 AM

12. Wish I could rec more than once.

This is heartbreaking, as are all the *drug* offenders.

Reply to this post

Tue Jan 15, 2013, 03:15 AM

13. Disgusting abuse of power. K & R

I hope this letter has an effect on Obama's "justice" dept.

Reply to this post

Tue Jan 15, 2013, 04:34 AM

16. K&R.(nt)

Reply to this post

Tue Jan 15, 2013, 07:31 AM

19. More on the story..

Matthew Davies' Wife Asks Obama To End Family's 'Nightmare,' Drop MMJ Case

The wife of a California medical marijuana provider who is facing 10 years in prison after being indicted by federal authorities last year is appealing to President Barack Obama to end her family's "nightmare."

Matthew R. Davies, 34, is the former owner of a Sacramento medical marijuana dispensary known as Medizen. He was indicted last July for manufacturing marijuana, along with co-owner Lynn F. Smith and warehouse grow operation manager Robert Duncan, by federal prosecutors in the U.S. Attorney's Office for the Eastern District of California.

In a letter to be sent to Obama on Monday and obtained exclusively by The Huffington Post, Molly Davies writes that her family is "confused and absolutely terrified" at the prospect of her husband spending a decade behind bars. Davies referenced Obama's comment, made in an interview last month, that his administration wouldn't focus on prosecuting recreational marijuana users in Washington and Colorado because there were "bigger fish to fry." Her husband, Davies wrote, wasn't a big fish.

"Mr. President, my husband is not a criminal and shouldn’t be treated like one. Matt is not a drug dealer or trafficker. He’s not driving around in a fancy car and living in some plush mansion -- trust me," Davies wrote. "My husband is a regular guy, and we’re a regular, middle-class family. Yet even though Matt took great pains to follow state and local law, he is currently facing a severe prison sentence. This all seems so surreal."

Both Davies and Smith are currently in plea negotiations with federal prosecutors, with their next court date scheduled for Jan. 18. Duncan reached a plea agreement with the feds in September, agreeing to cooperate with authorities in exchange for the government recommending a sentence of approximately three years.

Davies, on the other hand, is facing a much harsher sentence with a mandatory minimum of five years behind bars. Federal prosecutors have threatened to add additional charges, carrying a 10-year mandatory minimum sentence, unless he pleads guilty.

MORE AT LINK:http://www.420magazine.com/forums/international-cannabis-news/181979-matthew-davies-wife-asks-obama-end-familys-nightmare-drop-mmj-case.html#post1654729

Reply to this post

Tue Jan 15, 2013, 11:27 AM

21. HUGE K & R !!!

Reply to this post

Tue Jan 15, 2013, 11:38 AM

22. We won the presidency, Obama will direct his DOJ to pursue

real criminals rather than waste resources on this.

This will have more than one benefit, more resources to bring charges against HSBC for money laundering and terrorist support, finally some resources to bring charges of fraud against those that have used robo signing and other schemes to steal people's homes, and will finally redirect resources away from those that would use those DOJ resources to place law abiding citizens in prison over archaic laws that have been successfully nullified (by any reasonable standard) in some of our more enlightened states.

I hear this guy "Holder" is a D loyal to Obama (his name has been floated for the job starting in 2013) and so will surely correct what Bush's DOJ has been doing these last four years.

Finally a Democratic Justice Dept.!!!!!!

Reply to this post

Tue Jan 15, 2013, 12:34 PM

23. At what point do you (the defendant) take this to a jury

in Federal court. I've got to believe any jury assembled in California is going to find these people "NOT GUILTY!"

Reply to this post

Tue Jan 15, 2013, 02:17 PM

24. The DOJ and the DEA are jokes

This is what happens when a Dem president wimps out and lets Bush's boys run the administration. You have a two-tier justice system: one for corporations and extraordinary wealthy men and one for everyone else.

Reply to this post

Tue Jan 15, 2013, 03:42 PM

25. It is hypocritical for a President who used cocaine recreationally

to be overseeing a case like this.

Reply to this post

Tue Jan 15, 2013, 03:57 PM

26. Please Mr. President, do not stain your presidency by letting such blatant miscarriage of justice,

reason, and fairness stand.

Reply to this post

Response to indepat (Reply #26)

Tue Jan 15, 2013, 05:31 PM

27. It's Tueday afternoon, and if the Rolling Stone article abt his activites is any

Guide, currently he is quite busy looking over the drone kill list.

We citizens don't matter much to him, till we are put on such a list.

Reply to this post

Tue Jan 15, 2013, 06:33 PM

28. K&R

Reply to this post

Tue Jan 15, 2013, 07:25 PM

29. Kicked and recommended.

Thanks for the thread, Bennyboy.

Reply to this post