HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Good Reads (Forum) » What People Who Live to 1...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Sat Jan 12, 2013, 10:31 AM

What People Who Live to 100 Have in Common. Yahoo News:

http://health.yahoo.net/articles/healthcare/what-people-who-live-100-have-common

What People who live to 100 have in common

Yahoo News, U.S. News and World Report

http://health.yahoo.net/articles/healthcare/what-people-who-live-100-have-common

By Emily Brandon
Fri, Jan 11, 2013

A growing number of Americans are living to age 100. Nationwide, the centenarian population has grown 65.8 percent over the past three decades, from 32,194 people who were age 100 or older in 1980 to 53,364 centenarians in 2010, according to new Census Bureau data. In contrast, the total population has increased 36.3 percent over the same time period.

Centenarians in the United States are considerably different from the overall population. Here's a look at some of the characteristics of people who live to age 100

4 replies, 1705 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 4 replies Author Time Post
Reply What People Who Live to 100 Have in Common. Yahoo News: (Original post)
Stuart G Jan 2013 OP
dtotire Jan 2013 #1
OswegoAtheist Jan 2013 #2
Hestia Jan 2013 #3
supernova Jan 2013 #4

Response to Stuart G (Original post)

Sat Jan 12, 2013, 10:36 AM

1. Link?

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Sat Jan 12, 2013, 06:16 PM

2. Spoiler:

It helps to be Caucasian, a woman, living in an urban area (I'm thinking an affluent urban area, perhaps?) in the Northeast and Midwest, with good social connections.

Oswego "Three outta five" Atheist

Reply to this post

Sun Jan 13, 2013, 11:31 AM

3. But what is the quality of their lives? Barely able to see, hear, eat, walk, etc.

An older person declines to the point of not being able to move - I personally don't want to end my life like that, just sitting around waiting to die.

Reply to this post

Sun Jan 13, 2013, 12:03 PM

4. I think that speaks to

the fact that, traditionally, white women have been the recipients of better care in our society, so of course more older white women are going to make it to 100.

I would hope that as society opens up and diversifies, many more people of all backgrounds will make it to 100.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread