HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Good Reads (Forum) » This message was self-del...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Thu Jan 10, 2013, 11:54 PM

This message was self-deleted by its author

This message was self-deleted by its author (GoneOffShore) on Thu Jan 24, 2013, 11:49 PM. When the original post in a discussion thread is self-deleted, the entire discussion thread is automatically locked so new replies cannot be posted.

2 replies, 967 views

Cannot reply in locked threads

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 2 replies Author Time Post
Reply This message was self-deleted by its author (Original post)
GoneOffShore Jan 2013 OP
bossy22 Jan 2013 #1
cbrer Jan 2013 #2

Response to GoneOffShore (Original post)

Fri Jan 11, 2013, 01:30 AM

1. that's a strawman arguement if I've ever seen one

people who own guns for protection in the home don't assume they are the first line of defense. We understand they are the LAST line. We have locks, we have security system. The thing is, it doesnt take much effort to break a window...or even force a door (I'm a fireman and i've broken through metal on metal doors with nothing more than hand tools). Interesting fact- do you know most household outside doors can be kicked in with a few "Donkey kicks"? The reason being is that people by sturdy hardened doors while their frames are made out of weaker wood (i don't know many people who have houses with metal framed doors). But that is not the point. The point is the author automatically assumes that we own the gun because the intruder will have a gun- no. I expect that an intruder would most likely not be armed with a firearm (statistcally that is the truth) and the disparity of force will be in my favor

Nothing the author says answers the question "what happens when the intruder is in my house?". That is the key point, what happens then? Do you hope your house is big enough that you can run and hide and buy time before the police come? I'm sorry, I just don't want that to be my only option.

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to GoneOffShore (Original post)

Fri Jan 11, 2013, 04:02 AM

2. Ignore the Physics of the confrontation?

While we all realize the need for reducing the likelihood of a violent confrontation, this is no way reduces the need for legitimate defense of your or a family members life.

And that debate has already started.

While more evidence accumulates that suggests drug reactions, or lead poisoning, or copy cat psychosis, or other factors may prove a more fruitful path towards reducing gun violence, that in no way mitigates the reality that many people face in terms of local violent crime.

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink