HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Good Reads (Forum) » 3 Things You Should Know ...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Mon Jan 7, 2013, 11:31 PM

3 Things You Should Know About “Zero Dark Thirty” and Torture ( Amnesty International )

After seeing the new film Zero Dark Thirty, I think there are three things everyone should know:

1) Zero Dark Thirty is not a documentary. The film’s screenwriter, Mark Boal, said: “It’s a movie. It’s not a documentary… My standard is not a journalistic standard of ‘Is this a word-for-word quote?’ I’m not asking to be held to that standard and I’m certainly not representing my film as that. The standard is more, ‘Is this more or less in the ballpark?’”

2) Torture did not help find Osama bin Laden. This is established by the public record and verified by people who have access to classified information. For example, yesterday, Senator John McCain (R-AZ), Senator Dianne Feinstein (D-CA) and Senator Carl Levin (D-MI) sent this letter to the head of Sony Entertainment with citations pointing out that torture and other abuses did not help find Osama bin Laden.

3) The most important point is this: torture is immoral, always unlawful, and never permitted. Torture and ill-treatment are unequivocally prohibited under the U.S. Constitution and under international law. No derogation or exceptional circumstances can be invoked as justification for torture or ill-treatment. Senator Jim Risch (R-ID) put it this way:

“The issue isn’t ‘Does torture work or not.’ The issue is ‘Is torture right, or is torture wrong?’ And the answer to that is torture is wrong.”

in full: http://blog.amnestyusa.org/americas/3-things-you-should-know-about-zero-dark-thirty-and-torture/

8 replies, 1521 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 8 replies Author Time Post
Reply 3 Things You Should Know About “Zero Dark Thirty” and Torture ( Amnesty International ) (Original post)
Jefferson23 Jan 2013 OP
Solly Mack Jan 2013 #1
Kablooie Jan 2013 #2
samsingh Jan 2013 #3
truth2power Jan 2013 #4
grahamhgreen Jan 2013 #6
grahamhgreen Jan 2013 #5
Uncle Joe Jan 2013 #7
cbrer Jan 2013 #8

Response to Jefferson23 (Original post)

Mon Jan 7, 2013, 11:53 PM

1. ...

"Torture and ill-treatment are unequivocally prohibited under the U.S. Constitution and under international law. No derogation or exceptional circumstances can be invoked as justification for torture or ill-treatment."

Yeah?

Ask the Bush administration.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Solly Mack (Reply #1)

Tue Jan 8, 2013, 12:31 AM

2. In the movie they explain that the torture was forbidden once Obama took office.

Reply to this post

Response to Kablooie (Reply #2)

Tue Jan 8, 2013, 01:07 AM

3. good

Reply to this post

Tue Jan 8, 2013, 05:27 AM

4. I guess that's why Obama appointed John Brennen as CIA head. n/t

Reply to this post

Tue Jan 8, 2013, 01:10 PM

6. But it wasn't.

Rendition is the loophole.

Reply to this post

Tue Jan 8, 2013, 01:10 PM

5. Please boycott this film and if you're in the Academy, vote against it. Thanks.

It is especially disturbing to see the wanton promotion of torture in our increasingly troubled society.

Reply to this post

Tue Jan 8, 2013, 02:54 PM

7. Kicked and recommended.

Thanks for the thread, Jefferson.

Reply to this post

Tue Jan 8, 2013, 07:00 PM

8. Bush/Cheney are War criminals

That dragged our nation back at least to the 1800s. Morally speaking, what kind of people debate the merits, or equivocate about torture? Our nations stance was firmly established by the tribunals at Nurnberg. We hanged Japanese soldiers for waterboarding our boys.
President Obamas decision to pressure Spain to halt torture investigations was shortsighted.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread