HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Good Reads (Forum) » Chuck Hagel's Views On Wa...

Sun Jan 6, 2013, 10:47 PM

Chuck Hagel's Views On War Forged By Vietnam Experience

Badly burned after his armored personnel carrier hit a land mine in Vietnam, Chuck Hagel sat in a medical evacuation helicopter thinking of the horrors he had experienced during combat.

"If I ever get out, if I ever can influence anything, I will do all I can to prevent war," he would later tell his biographer, Charlyne Berens.

It was a seminal moment for the young soldier turned Nebraska senator who sources now say will be nominated by President Barack Obama to become the next secretary of defense.

Should he be nominated to replace current Defense Secretary Leon Panetta, Hagel would bring to the Pentagon a distinct bias against armed conflict forged during the Vietnam War.

Hegal volunteered to join the Army and ended up serving a yearlong tour in 1968 during the Tet Offensive, considered the most violent period in that war. Because of a clerical error, he served side by side with his younger brother.

MORE...

http://security.blogs.cnn.com/2013/01/06/chuck-hagels-views-on-war-forged-by-vietnam-experience/

2 replies, 664 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 2 replies Author Time Post
Reply Chuck Hagel's Views On War Forged By Vietnam Experience (Original post)
Purveyor Jan 2013 OP
freshwest Jan 2013 #1
Bluenorthwest Jan 2013 #2

Response to Purveyor (Original post)

Sun Jan 6, 2013, 11:24 PM

1. Best to have those who know what it is.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Purveyor (Original post)

Mon Jan 7, 2013, 08:14 AM

2. Do all he can to prevent war...except of course voting against the mindless invasion of Iraq

Hagel's rhetoric is interesting, but it sure does not fit his record. The one time he was asked to say yes or no to going to war, he said yes.
But facts are just facts. And facts no longer matter.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread