HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Good Reads (Forum) » 'She’s my role model,' sa...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Thu Dec 27, 2012, 04:27 AM

'She’s my role model,' says daughter of Attawapiskat Chief Spence, now into 9th day of hunger strike

http://aptn.ca/pages/news/2012/12/20/shes-my-role-model-says-daughter-of-attawapiskat-chief-spence-now-into-9th-day-of-hunger-strike/

‘She’s my role model,’ says daughter of Attawapiskat Chief Spence, now into 9th day of hunger strike

20. Dec, 2012 by APTN National News
By Jorge Barrera

Attawapiskat Chief Theresa Spence says she won’t allow authorities to take her to the hospital if the hunger strike takes a turn for the worse.

<snip>

She also issued a woman-to-woman call to Harper’s wife, Laureen Harper, to convince her husband that he should meet with the chiefs.

<snip>

“I had a talk with my girls and I explained the journey of life. There are times in the journey of life you lose your loved ones. That is part of life,” said Spence. “If I am not going to be here, you are not going to be alone…There will be people looking after you, my partner, your sisters, my friends will look after them and I am going to be there in my spirit with them every day.”

Spence’s partner Clayton Kennedy struggles with his emotions as he discusses Spence’s hunger strike. Kennedy said he feels “distressed,” but supportive.

<snip

3 replies, 1047 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 3 replies Author Time Post
Reply 'She’s my role model,' says daughter of Attawapiskat Chief Spence, now into 9th day of hunger strike (Original post)
bananas Dec 2012 OP
xchrom Dec 2012 #1
G_j Dec 2012 #2
polly7 Dec 2012 #3

Response to bananas (Original post)

Thu Dec 27, 2012, 04:35 AM

1. du rec. nt

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Thu Dec 27, 2012, 06:09 AM

2. asking that treaties be recognized

I would like to know how this turns out. She is a brave woman.

Reply to this post

Thu Dec 27, 2012, 10:06 AM

3. I'm encouraged by the amount of support for this strong, inspirational woman. nt.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread