HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Good Reads (Forum) » (Alcatraz) Antigovernment...

Tue Dec 25, 2012, 03:11 PM

(Alcatraz) Antigovernment Graffiti Restored, Courtesy of Government

Ramin Rahimian for The New York Times

The newly rebuilt water tower with the restored graffiti. Native Americans were invited to participate in tracing over the final block letters.

For decades, visitors to Alcatraz Island had trouble deciphering the faded red graffiti on the old prison’s rusted water tower.

Then last month, the National Park Service unveiled a rebuilt water tower with bold red letters reading, “Peace and Freedom. Welcome. Home of the Free Indian Land.” The freshly painted inscription is an exact replica of graffiti left during the 19 months when Native American activists commandeered the wind-scoured island four decades ago and claimed it as their own.

“Normally, the federal government is not in the business of preserving graffiti,” said Alexandra Picavet, a spokeswoman for the National Park Service, who said that to her knowledge this was the only example of restored, modern-day graffiti. “The water tower was the occupation’s most outwardly focused message to the world and it is an important part of the island’s history,” she said.

In the early morning of Nov. 20, 1969, some 80 Native Americans sailed to Alcatraz and set up camp. They would stay on the craggy outcropping until federal marshals removed them on June 11, 1971. The group’s demands included establishing a Native American university and cultural center.

full: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/25/us/alcatraz-american-indian-occupation-graffiti-preserved.html

Wow. I visited Alcatraz back in July, so I didn't get to see the tagged tower. But good on NPS.

2 replies, 787 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 2 replies Author Time Post
Reply (Alcatraz) Antigovernment Graffiti Restored, Courtesy of Government (Original post)
alp227 Dec 2012 OP
DreamGypsy Dec 2012 #1
ROBROX Dec 2012 #2

Response to alp227 (Original post)

Tue Dec 25, 2012, 09:13 PM

1. Immigrant Citizens of the Americas...

...must never be allowed to forget the tragedy we inflicted on the citizens of the First Nations.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to alp227 (Original post)

Tue Dec 25, 2012, 10:44 PM

2. WHAT A DREAM!!!

I remember when this happened but it ended to soon. This rock has no natural water and power?

I wonder why the CLAIM was not accepted? This useless place would have made a fantastic place of learning and a public wonder.

This current park has found its place and the S.F. BAY AREA is COOL.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread