HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Good Reads (Forum) » Cuban Americans reject im...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Sat Dec 22, 2012, 09:07 PM

Cuban Americans reject immigant parent's republican allegiance

ORAL GABLES, Fla. — Abelardo and Lucy Gomez, like many of their generation who fled Cuba, have voted for every Republican presidential candidate for the past 40 years. Their son is another story.

Albert Gomez, 39, who works in the family business in South Florida, has a bobblehead doll of President Barack Obama perched on his desk. A self-described pacifist who campaigned against offshore oil drilling as a teenager, he has voted for a Republican presidential candidate just once.

“I’m very upset with my son,” said Lucy Gomez, 65, interviewed at her $2 million home in a gated Coral Gables neighborhood along a canal near Biscayne Bay. “He’s my son and he has a big heart. But Albert is a Democrat.”

Read more: http://www.voxxi.com/cuban-americans-immigrant-republican/#ixzz2Fpwktp21

4 replies, 981 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 4 replies Author Time Post
Reply Cuban Americans reject immigant parent's republican allegiance (Original post)
Tony_FLADEM Dec 2012 OP
Aristus Dec 2012 #1
jaysunb Dec 2012 #2
fasttense Dec 2012 #3
John2 Dec 2012 #4

Response to Tony_FLADEM (Original post)

Sat Dec 22, 2012, 09:09 PM

1. "He has a big heart".

That's why he's a Democrat, lady. Sheesh!

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Sat Dec 22, 2012, 09:40 PM

2. I feel sorry for his parents...

they've done well in spite of earlier life challenges, yet, they can't let go of the anger.

Do you ever notice that the Afro-Cubans are almost invisible in Cuban American circles or news ? Yet they are the majority of Cuba...oh yeah, and they were the ones working on those sugar plantations.
If ones looks hard enough at the facts, you'll probably figure out why Castro and his revoluntion was.

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 23, 2012, 07:12 AM

3. Here is a woman who lives in a $2 million home and she wants....

"She wants “investigators” stationed outside welfare offices to make sure those receiving cash assistance aren’t driving fancy cars."

Read more: http://www.voxxi.com/cuban-americans-immigrant-republican/#ixzz2FsMReKVq

Really, that's what you want? You are so worried someone, a poor someone no doubt, might get some money out of the system. Not worried that corporations receive welfare in such huge amounts that their profits are no longer "earned". Not worried that billionaire farmers get hundreds of millions in tax payer subsidies. Not worried that truck loads of cash went missing in Iran and is probably sitting in some Wall Street firm's portfolio. No, what worries you is a poor person might get something, a person who votes for Democrats no doubt, a person who is not worthy.

It is thinking like that that caused the Revolution in Cuba.

Reply to this post

Response to fasttense (Reply #3)

Sun Dec 23, 2012, 01:19 PM

4. I don't

think older generations of Cubans should be judging any native born American of the United States, who was originally born here. I resent that, because my great grandparents fought and died for their rights in this country. How can someone that fled Cuba, criticize the citizens of a country, that accepted them here with open arms?

Our system of Government existed long before older generations of Cubans ever got to the U.S. shores. All one has to do is point Alberto's parents to the Cuban Readjustment Act of 1967. Our government gave Cubans special immigration status. That was a handout by our Government. They did more for Cuban immigrants, than they did for African Americans after slavery and the Civil War. They were given money and special consideration on loans to start up businesses. That is how generous our Congress was to Cuban immigrants, thanks to Republican Senators like the Late Jessie Helms of North Carolina, who was suppose to be my own senator. The Cuban vote was bought and paid for with in Romney's definition "Gifts".

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread