HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Good Reads (Forum) » Expiring Warrantless Spy ...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Fri Dec 14, 2012, 12:05 PM

Expiring Warrantless Spy Bill (FISA) to Be Reauthorized by Year's End

U.S. spies can rest easy knowing that the nation's warrantless wiretapping program - secretly employed by the President George W. Bush administration in the wake of the 2001 terror attacks - won't expire at year's end.

That's because Sen. Ron Wyden (D-Oregon) said Wednesday he would lift his procedural hold that bars the Senate from voting on the FISA Amendments Act, which the President Barack Obama administration maintains is its top national-security priority. The only real issue is for how many years the spy bill will be extended for and, according to Wyden, whether any transparency or privacy protections will be written into the spy program that Congress codified in 2008.

Other than that, it's a done deal.

"Nobody is coming up saying how can we let this expire," Wyden said in a telephone interview Wednesday while discussing the backroom, legislative jockeying on the issue.

http://readersupportednews.org/news-section2/335-156/15016-expiring-warrantless-spy-bill-fisa-to-be-reauthorized-by-years-end

2 replies, 449 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 2 replies Author Time Post
Reply Expiring Warrantless Spy Bill (FISA) to Be Reauthorized by Year's End (Original post)
BridgeTheGap Dec 2012 OP
NoRule Dec 2012 #1
groovedaddy Dec 2012 #2

Response to BridgeTheGap (Original post)

Fri Dec 14, 2012, 12:14 PM

1. I look forward to the revolution

The more I read about my rights being violated, the more my blood boils with passion. I know I'm not the only one.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to NoRule (Reply #1)

Fri Dec 14, 2012, 12:27 PM

2. No, you're not the only one, for sure. I'm right there with you! n.t

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread