HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Good Reads (Forum) » The German Tea Party appe...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Thu Dec 13, 2012, 08:57 AM

The German Tea Party appears to have a math problem

German politicians already launched an effort last week aimed at banning the right-wing extremist National Democratic Party (NPD), but on Wednesday the far-right group faced a whole different set of legal troubles. The Federal Administrative Court in Leipzig fined the NPD some 1.27 million ($1.66 million) for dodgy accounting, a penalty that puts a serious crimp in the party's finances.

The case centered on federal assistance made available to small parties based on the number of votes they receive and the amount of donations they solicit. For the NPD, that assistance is crucial -- in 2011 it amounted to 42 percent of the party's budget of around 3 million, a level that has remained largely consistent over the last seven years.

In 2009, however, German parliament in Berlin found that the party had cooked its books in order to receive more from the federal government than it was entitled to. Parliamentary President Norbert Lammert alleged that the right-wingers had received 1.25 million too much. Combined with sanctions for misreporting, he said the party owed the federal government 2.5 million.

http://www.spiegel.de/international/germany/german-court-fines-right-wing-npd-party-for-accounting-innacuracies-a-872678.html

4 replies, 1051 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 4 replies Author Time Post
Reply The German Tea Party appears to have a math problem (Original post)
mgc1961 Dec 2012 OP
Democracyinkind Dec 2012 #1
mgc1961 Dec 2012 #2
Democracyinkind Dec 2012 #3
mgc1961 Dec 2012 #4

Response to mgc1961 (Original post)

Thu Dec 13, 2012, 09:10 AM

1. The NPD is nothing like the tea party.

I get where the comparison comes from, but it is not accurate at all. Context is everything.

Other than that - the article is well worth reading and I thank you for posting it.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Democracyinkind (Reply #1)

Thu Dec 13, 2012, 09:42 AM

2. "Nothing like?" I respectfully disagree.

In my estimation, there are enough similarities in member's actions and statements to warrant the use of that description.

Reply to this post

Response to mgc1961 (Reply #2)

Thu Dec 13, 2012, 09:58 AM

3. I respectfully disagree...

In my estimation, there are enough differences in their actions and statements to warrant differentiating between them.

Not that I think that the tea party is that much better, but there are many important differences. The political and historical context of both "parties" or "movements" is very different. This is apparent in the different member base, the different policies, etc. of both.

Of course, there are important similarities - racism being the most obvious one. From what I know from history and personal experience I'd even argue that their racist views aren't congruent, as they have been born out of very different political contexts.

It would be interesting to debate this question in a separate thread. I didn't mean to high-jack, just wanted to make my perspective heard too, which is that both are very different things... Although I do agree that in practice they are very similar. Their rhetoric and ideology is informed and nurtured by traditions that differ quite strongly.

Reply to this post

Response to Democracyinkind (Reply #3)

Thu Dec 13, 2012, 10:51 AM

4. Here's a separate thread.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread