HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Good Reads (Forum) » Scott Walker's gold-plate...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Tue Dec 11, 2012, 08:54 AM

Scott Walker's gold-plated kitchen

http://host.madison.com/ct/news/opinion/editorial/scott-walker-s-gold-plated-kitchen/article_f6aa3322-4346-11e2-bcf7-0019bb2963f4.html

Scott Walker has attacked public schools and public services in Wisconsin, claiming the state is in a dire financial circumstance that does not allow Wisconsin to maintain its historically high standards when it comes to educating our children and maintaining our communities.

Kids have to "share" in the sacrifice.
The elderly have to "share" in the sacrifice.
People with disabilities have to "share" in the sacrifice.
But guess who doesn't have to "share" in the sacrifice.

His Highness, King Scott.

Walker's Department of Administration has asked the state Building Commission for $478,700 in general fund-supported borrowing to pay for kitchen renovations at the governorís mansion.

That's right, Walker wants a half million dollars to fix up a first-floor kitchen and a second-floor kitchenette at the mansion.

Much of the money, he claims, will be raised via private donations to the Wisconsin Executive Residence Foundation.

Walker seems to think the mingling of private and public funds makes it permissible for him to demand a $500,000 kitchen so that he can live large.

That's ridiculous.

6 replies, 1683 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread

Response to hue (Original post)

Tue Dec 11, 2012, 09:20 AM

1. Reminds me of Jerry Brown, who upon entering his first term as Gov, following Reagan...

...turned away from moving into the new Reagan Gov mansion and chose to stay in his little apartment.

And he also didn't want the limo and chose instead to drive a state owned Plymouth Fury I.

Not even a Fury III, just a Fury I.

http://calnorthern.net/who-was-jerry-brown/

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to NYC_SKP (Reply #1)

Tue Dec 11, 2012, 09:58 AM

2. what a fascinating read at that link.

As an occasional Cal. resident/visitor since the 1970's, I found the overview of Jerry Brown's career very interesting.
The web site has some good articles, esp, the one of privatization.
Sadly, the magazine is "taking a break"...crap, it looks to be a good source of info.

Reply to this post

Response to NYC_SKP (Reply #1)

Tue Dec 11, 2012, 10:05 AM

3. Also, the article shows exactly what happens as a result of tax cuts.

Cal. is the model for how Republican backed tax cuts destroyed critical services and infrastructure maintainance, via Prop. 13.
"Over time, the network of public services formerly enjoyed by Californians began to decay and disappear, while the state government lacked the ability to address the crisis as a result of strictures imposed by Proposition 13".

Reply to this post

Response to dixiegrrrrl (Reply #3)

Wed Dec 12, 2012, 10:46 AM

6. We're still feeling the pain of Garvis Jann Prop 13, especially in schools.

Some here defend it as an owners' rights thing, but it shields the rich as much as the middle income homeowner, and leaves the most needy out in the rain.

Reply to this post

Tue Dec 11, 2012, 11:24 AM

4. He'll probably dip into the mortgage relief money that should of gone to underwater mortgages...

But instead is being used for his budget holes...

Reply to this post

Tue Dec 11, 2012, 06:13 PM

5. DO THE PEOPLE FROM THIS STATE KNOW ABOUT THIS 1/2 MILLION FOR A KITCHEN???

The GOP is very bizarre with spending money for war and other stupid things. When it comes to spending money for GOOD these people do not know what to do. I am so glad California still has more democratic people than GOP thinkers or California would be worst off than it is today. We only have the #9 best world economy. Years ago it was #4 and then ARNOLD and the GOP to over.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread