HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Good Reads (Forum) » A holiday guide to arguin...

Thu Nov 22, 2012, 09:37 AM

A holiday guide to arguing with your right-wing relatives

“The Holidays” are now officially here, and all Americans will soon have to face their extended families and listen to them talk. For many young Americans — specifically young Americans related to old white Americans — Thanksgiving and our various Winter Holidays are extra stressful, because young Americans are largely a liberal, Obama-voting bunch, and old white Americans are mostly not. Unfortunately, old white Americans spend a lot of their time being lied to by conservatives on TV, the radio and the Internet, and while that is not their fault, it can be hard to talk about politics with people who believe an elaborate series of fictions and distortions.

If you actually want to engage your right-wing relatives — and let me be clear, you really should not do this, you are going to ruin Thanksgiving — it’s best to come prepared. Below, you’ll find a series of talking points designed to address some of the most popular current trending topics in the alternate conservative media world. (You’ll find last year’s guide here.)

http://www.salon.com/2012/11/22/a_holiday_guide_to_arguing_with_your_right_wing_relatives/

3 replies, 1376 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 3 replies Author Time Post
Reply A holiday guide to arguing with your right-wing relatives (Original post)
banned from Kos Nov 2012 OP
Warpy Nov 2012 #1
Historic NY Nov 2012 #2
silhouete2 Nov 2012 #3

Response to banned from Kos (Original post)

Thu Nov 22, 2012, 10:10 AM

1. "EEEEW! I don't want to hear about that stuff while I'm eating!"

is the best bet. Just shut them down, change the subject, everybody else will be grateful.

After dinner, either help out in the kitchen or make your thanks and leave the blowhard (s) to football while you go home, full and happy.

The kindest thing we can do for these people is deprive them of places to rant. Once they can't rant any more, all the fun will have gone out of it.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Thu Nov 22, 2012, 10:33 AM

2. Its always helpful to be liberally plied with some form of an alcoholic beverage...

Reply to this post

Thu Nov 22, 2012, 01:37 PM

3. Well, we just had one this morning

My GOP card carrying cranky uncle and his family are visting and we are all sitting around watching the Thanksgiving parade. There is a Native American float and a woman singing a Native American song. My uncle, right after taking a swig of his beer, announces, "Why are the GD Indians in this parade? What do they have to do with Thanksgiving? It's an AMERICAN holiday." Before I could say anything, my cousin, his commie, pinko, liberal son( my uncle's description of him) spouts, "Well Pop, without the GD Indians, the Pilgrims would have all died and we probably wouldnt' have had an America. And the first Thanksgiving INCLUDED Indians. So shut up, drink your beer and let the rest of us listen." My uncle, who is already for all intents and purposes, drunk, just grunts but shuts up.

Gotta love these family holiday get togethers!

Happy Thanksgiving!!!

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread