HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Good Reads (Forum) » AARP uses its power to op...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Sun Nov 18, 2012, 09:17 AM

AARP uses its power to oppose Social Security, Medicare benefit cuts for retirees

AARP, the lobbying powerhouse for older Americans, last year made a dramatic concession. Amid a national debate over whether to overhaul Social Security, the group said for the first time it was open to cuts in benefits. The backlash from AARP members and liberal groups that oppose changes in the program was enormous — and this time around, as Washington debates how to tame the ballooning federal debt, AARP is flatly opposed to any benefit reductions for the nation’s retirees....

LeaMond, AARP’s top lobbyist... said AARP members care deeply about the long-term solvency of the programs even if they don’t want to bear the brunt of the cost of fixing them.

“If the critics spend anytime with our members, you cannot help but be struck by their powerful sense of legacy,” she said. “They want to leave Medicare and Social Security as strong for their kids and grandkids as for them.”

http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/economy/aarp-uses-its-power-to-oppose-social-security-medicare-benefit-cuts-for-retirees/2012/11/17/affb5874-2aa6-11e2-bab2-eda299503684_story.html

14 replies, 2380 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread

Response to reACTIONary (Original post)

Sun Nov 18, 2012, 09:22 AM

1. Great news, if they stick to it. A huge turnaround for them.

They've been working at getting Seniors to accept cuts for the last year or so. I guess the backlash has been too great.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to MannyGoldstein (Reply #1)

Sun Nov 18, 2012, 09:28 AM

2. Note that they have a new head lobbyist...

... the article doesn't say the change has anything to do with the backlash, but one wonders.

Reply to this post

Sun Nov 18, 2012, 10:07 AM

3. Apparently Faux News has been on a mission to discredit

AARP because all the Republicans I know are always dissing the AARP saying it is run by the teachers union.

Reply to this post

Response to doc03 (Reply #3)

Sun Nov 18, 2012, 10:14 AM

4. The teacher's union? And all along I've been told its run by...

...the insurance companies! Or that it IS an insurance company.

Those who disagree with an organization's point of view can be quite creative in coming up with various reasons to disregard it. Anything and everything other than "I've thought about it and here are the pros and cons".

Reply to this post

Response to reACTIONary (Reply #4)

Sun Nov 18, 2012, 11:29 PM

10. AARP is an insurance company. United Healthcare

Its president make hundreds of millions. Remember, health insurance does not provide so much as one band-aid.

Reply to this post

Response to jerseyjack (Reply #10)

Wed Nov 21, 2012, 10:39 AM

14. AARP is NOT an Insurance Company. I belong to AARP. I have never bought any insurance from them.

AARP a non-profit advocacy organization. Like many such organizations they license their brand to companies that provide products and services, including insurance. But they are not an insurance company.

http://www.aarp.org/about-aarp/info-2011/what-we-do.html

"Advocacy -AARP fights for 50 and over individuals and their families at the local, state and national levels. Last year, we won many battles on behalf of older Americans.... This year at AARP, we are continuing our work to protect and strengthen Social Security and Medicare, to save you money on your utility bills and to improve your access to quality health care. Whether in the nation's capital, in statehouses across the country or in the courts, we're in your corner, fighting on the issues that matter to you and your family. To learn more about our advocacy, please visit our Advocacy section on AARP.org."

http://www.aarp.org/content/aarp/en/home/politics-society/advocacy.html

http://www.aarphealthcare.com/important-disclosures.html

AARP and its affiliate are not insurance agencies or carriers and do not employ or endorse individual agents, brokers, producers, representatives or advisors.

AARP Health is a collection of health-related products, services and insurance programs made available by AARP. Neither AARP nor its affiliate is the insurer.

AARP contracts with insurers to make coverage available to AARP members. Insurers and providers pay a fee to AARP and its affiliate for use of the AARP intellectual property. Amounts paid are used for the general purposes of AARP and its members.

AARP does not recommend health-related products, services, insurance or programs. Insurance products carrying the AARP name are intended to be competitive products and may not be the lowest priced products. You are strongly encouraged to evaluate your needs and compare products.

Reply to this post

Response to doc03 (Reply #3)

Sun Nov 18, 2012, 11:41 PM

11. Dissing the AARP

Repubs must really hate winning elections.

Reply to this post

Sun Nov 18, 2012, 11:03 AM

5. A MEMBER.S THOUGHTS

I did not join this organization until I retired. I knew that this group fights for the old timers. I am not surprised that the GOP does not like this group since this group does not aline itself with the GOP. This group only aligns itself with OLD PEOPLE. This group has also always protected FUTURE old people. Just another reason the GOp does not like this ORGANIZATION.

Reply to this post

Response to ROBROX (Reply #5)

Sun Nov 18, 2012, 11:21 AM

6. I am not sure I would use the term "always protected" when it comes to the AARP.

I remember joining a boycott to protests their stand. As a matter of fact, I still have not joined because of that boycott.

Reply to this post

Response to ROBROX (Reply #5)

Sun Nov 18, 2012, 11:42 AM

7. I've been a member since I was knee high to a grasshopper...

...well, not THAT young. But they offer memberships before retirement age.

I'm a member of several such organizations: ACLU, Americans United for the Separation of Church and State, even Boat USA. Since these organizations are big-tent coalitions they never represent any one view point perfectly. But working together is usually the only way to make progress in the general direction you would like to see things go.

Reply to this post

Sun Nov 18, 2012, 01:28 PM

8. AARP

needs to educate their members about who the threat to these programs are instead of pontificating. It doesn't make any sense with members voting against their own interests. They should take sides with Politcal candidates. How can they represent their members if they don't. They need to start getting right out there with Labor Unions and put pressure on these Republican Congressmen. Republicans don't hesitate using Businesses against Democrats. They have been writing the Laws. Both parties have been in their pockets until maybe now. THe President needs to work for the people that put him in power and they should be his Big Stick to control the Republicans. THe Koch Brothers were defeated.

Reply to this post

Response to John2 (Reply #8)

Sun Nov 18, 2012, 07:41 PM

9. Sorry, but it would be illegal for AARP to...

...take sides with political candidates. That's called electioneering, and it is illegal for a non-profit, tax exempt, public service organization.

Beyond that, their membership wouldn't appreciate it if they did. These are mature adults who have been around the block a few times (yuk yuk). They think for themselves and wouldn't want to be told who to vote for. They want issue oriented information, analysis and recommendations, not a pick list of candidates.

Reply to this post

Response to reACTIONary (Reply #9)

Mon Nov 19, 2012, 09:44 AM

12. Does the NRA fall in that catagory? If so they certainly

get away with it.

Reply to this post

Response to doc03 (Reply #12)

Tue Nov 20, 2012, 01:58 AM

13. I'm not sure, but the NRA may do something similar to what the ACLU does...

The ACLU has two affiliated organizations; one allows contributors to take a tax deduction, and the other does not. The one that provides for tax deductible contributions does pro-bono litigation to protect civil rights, the one that does not is focused on lobbying for and against specific legislation.

http://www.aclu.org/donating-american-civil-liberties-union-and-aclu-foundation-what-difference

The ACLU comprises two separate corporate entities, the American Civil Liberties Union and the ACLU Foundation.... Both organizations support the ACLU's extensive litigation, communications and public education programs. However, certain important activities carried out by the ACLU cannot be supported with tax-deductible gifts. This is primarily in the area of lobbying, because federal law limits the amount that a tax-exempt organization like the ACLU Foundation can spend on lobbying.

I think that supporting specific candidates (electioneering) isn't allowed for non-profits regardless of whether tax deductions for gifts are allowed, but I am not 100% sure what the restrictions are. I am pretty sure that electioneering is even more restricted than is lobbying.

I'm not sure how AARP structures itself, but my guess is that AARP members would be pretty pissed if it were to engage in blatant electioneering. My guess is that NRA members wouldn't and don't care.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread