HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Good Reads (Forum) » Exelon Open to Closing Oy...

Thu Nov 15, 2012, 09:47 PM

Exelon Open to Closing Oyster Creek Reactor Pre-2019

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-11-14/exelon-open-to-closing-oyster-creek-reactor-pre-2019.html

Exelon Open to Closing Oyster Creek Reactor Pre-2019
By Julie Johnsson - 2012-11-14T01:31:32Z

Exelon Corp. (EXC), the largest U.S. nuclear plant operator, would consider closing its Oyster Creek station before the plantís planned 2019 decommissioning, Chief Executive Officer Christopher Crane said.

Exelon would accelerate plans to close Oyster Creek in Forked River, New Jersey, if it faced unexpected new capital costs at a time when depressed power prices and cheap renewable energy are squeezing nuclear generation margins, Crane said in an interview yesterday.

Exelon already has deferred plans to boost capacity at its LaSalle nuclear station in northern Illinois and Limerick plant in Pennsylvania, saving $1.2 billion in the near-term, the chief executive said.

The Chicago-based company also plans to refuel its Clinton nuclear plant annually instead of every two years in a bid to boost profitability at the hardest-hit plant in Exelonís 17- reactor system, he said.

<snip>

2 replies, 568 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 2 replies Author Time Post
Reply Exelon Open to Closing Oyster Creek Reactor Pre-2019 (Original post)
bananas Nov 2012 OP
enough Nov 2012 #1
bananas Nov 2012 #2

Response to bananas (Original post)

Thu Nov 15, 2012, 09:53 PM

1. Thanks bananas, this is extremely interesting to me,

living in SE PA, not far from Limerick (and having been part of the attempt to keep it from being built in the first place). Also not that far from the nukes in NJ.

Man there are words there I never thought I'd see in the establishment media: "unexpected new capital costs at a time when depressed power prices and cheap renewable energy are squeezing nuclear generation margins..."

I've always thought that it would be the cost in the end that would do it in, but I long ago gave up.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to enough (Reply #1)

Fri Nov 16, 2012, 05:27 PM

2. I was pleasantly surprised to read this, too.

I was worried they'd try to keep these things running until they break.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread