HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Good Reads (Forum) » Walter Rhett: Abuse Is Al...

Wed Oct 24, 2012, 02:13 PM

Walter Rhett: Abuse Is Always in the Name of Love

Mitt Romney’s latest ploy is to pretend he is Barack Obama. For the past month, he has tried to walk in the President’s footsteps, in a brazen attempt to broaden his appeal. That ploy is a word-thin disguise to attract undecided voters and disgruntled Democrats to his radical-right positions on health, taxes, and women’s rights that these groups would normally reject.

If America accepts such a naked, transparent deceit, it has become an abuse victim, a country willing to ignore reality, past history and bad decisions, to willingly put itself at-risk by embracing all the wrong done in the name of a love for America. What kind of people try to stop the abuse by reuniting with its perpetrators? Especially when the threats to safety and security never stopped, but in the classic fashion of abusers, have increased, becoming more distorted, domineering and shrill?

In fact, Romney wants to deny the abuse and put it on Obama, the blame-shifting that is the hallmark of dysfunction. Fault is always on somebody else. The interior narrative goes, “My errors, of which there are none, were made in good faith. Can’t you see my desire and devotion? And I have to be this way because of what happened.” Abusers rearrange the details of history to fit a narrative of good and evil that distorts and conceals truth and freedom. So the slaps and screams, the seething anger, the spontaneous rage, the stripping away of dignity, the shredding of self-worth, the putdowns and retorts, the demeaning language breaks the victim’s will.

Some in America have brought into the blame-shift. Victims beget victims. Their experience of abuse becomes a template. It recreates itself and perpetuates itself when it hits a tipping point. I have seen this with inner city crack epidemics in eastern cities; an out of control dysfunctionalism that altered the social fabric and changed the arc of success put in place by previous generations. I can tell you that healthy common sense is hard to recover for people conditioned to thinking abuse is a way of life...

More at: http://www.democratsforprogress.com/2012/10/24/abuse-is-always-in-the-name-of-love/

1 replies, 526 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 1 replies Author Time Post
Reply Walter Rhett: Abuse Is Always in the Name of Love (Original post)
DemocratsForProgress Oct 2012 OP
BlancheSplanchnik Oct 2012 #1

Response to DemocratsForProgress (Original post)

Wed Oct 24, 2012, 07:44 PM

1. Highly recommended read. Like Battered Woman Syndrome,

People continuing to live the Conservative christofascist lifestyle are on the abuse spectrum, either as victims unable to examine the situation and remove the victim, or as abusers who derive their sense of personal power through exploiting and victimizing those weaker than themselves.

Excellent parallel analysis of abuse on a macro level.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread