HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Good Reads (Forum) » This Week in Poverty: Wha...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Fri Oct 19, 2012, 01:51 PM

This Week in Poverty: What We Talk About When We Talk About Poverty

http://www.thenation.com/blog/170678/week-poverty-what-we-talk-about-when-we-talk-about-poverty

Here’s a twist: in the second presidential debate, one candidate used the word “poverty” without saying anything about poverty; the other didn’t use the word at all but managed to speak a fair amount about it.

Make sense? Stay with me.

Governor Romney used this talking point: “There are 3 1/2 million more women living in poverty today than when the president took office”; and again, “I mentioned 3 1/2 million women more now in poverty than four years ago.” He also used what has become a staple of his campaign as a bludgeon against President Obama’s record: “There are more people in poverty—one out of six people in poverty.”

What he didn’t do was offer any notion as to how a Romney administration would create opportunities for low-income people—people who decidedly aren’t included in his binders. Except for maybe this—in response to a question about limiting the availability of assault weapons: “But gosh, to tell our kids that before they have babies, they ought to think about getting married to someone—that’s a great idea because if there’s a two-parent family, the prospect of living in poverty goes down dramatically.”

Does he really think that parents—teen parents and single parents who know this struggle better than anyone—aren’t telling their children to wait to have babies? That they want better circumstances for them than they have had themselves?

2 replies, 657 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 2 replies Author Time Post
Reply This Week in Poverty: What We Talk About When We Talk About Poverty (Original post)
xchrom Oct 2012 OP
GulleyJimson Oct 2012 #1
ruffburr Oct 2012 #2

Response to xchrom (Original post)

Fri Oct 19, 2012, 01:53 PM

1. Because...

it's taken four years to halt the economic tsunami left by W.?

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to xchrom (Original post)

Fri Oct 19, 2012, 02:45 PM

2. Poverty Has Become Me-

I used to be a lower middle income guy, By the time Bushie got done, The ranch i managed for 20 yrs was sold and at 50 yrs old i had to find work , Well there are not a heck of alot of ranch management jobs around nowadays, So long story short after a couple of really shitty low paying jobs I ended up having 4 heart failure episodes and that was that.So over the last two years living on ssi, I've really learned the joy of living in poverty, And now at 59 it's not likely that i'll find employment in this day and age, So when i hear Willard and his type talk about the 47% and entitlements I just think fuck you i'm in this boat cause your repuke bullshit policies and now you want to cut this life line too, Once again FUCK YOU, Mitt

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread