HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Good Reads (Forum) » Romney on Libya: "Ju...

Thu Oct 18, 2012, 12:02 PM

Romney on Libya: "Just Shameful." - Richard Clarke

The veteran diplomat writes in the New York Daily News:

Updated: Thursday, October 18, 2012, 4:36 AM

The last of the presidential debates will focus on national security and will surely produce another round of sniping about what happened before, during and after the raid on the U.S. Consulate in Benghazi, Libya. Voters, therefore, ought to think about this issue in context.

Karl Rove, the Republican evil genius of campaign slurs, is famous for advising candidates to attack an opponent’s strong suit. If Sen. John Kerry is a decorated war hero and your guy avoided going to Vietnam, then attack Kerry’s service record. If Sen. Max Cleland lost limbs fighting for America, question his patriotism.

-(snip)

Every President since Ronald Reagan has suffered American casualties to terrorism on his watch. Obama has suffered far fewer than his predecessors, largely because he has kept the terrorist groups off balance by relentlessly attacking them. He has largely eliminated Al Qaeda in Afghanistan and Pakistan as an effective fighting force. His use of drones and special forces has been aggressive and successful, including in Yemen and Somalia.

-

I dealt with scores of incidents and military operations over 30 years in the Pentagon, State Department and White House. I never saw a case where there was initial and accurate clarity about what happened.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/opinion/romney-libya-shameful-article-1.1185889#ixzz29fMVacXK

Romney is a chickenhawk, armchair warrior, laptop bombardier, and a wimp, just like his son Tagg, who wouldn't "take a swing" at a fucking housefly without a dozen guys backing him up!

6 replies, 1240 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 6 replies Author Time Post
Reply Romney on Libya: "Just Shameful." - Richard Clarke (Original post)
68 Rex Oct 2012 OP
cleduc Oct 2012 #1
magical thyme Oct 2012 #2
Bill USA Oct 2012 #3
Cha Oct 2012 #4
Carolina Oct 2012 #5
Amonester Oct 2012 #6

Response to 68 Rex (Original post)

Thu Oct 18, 2012, 12:09 PM

1. I liked this quote:

"Mitt Romney seems fixated on why Washington did not know with better clarity and sooner what went on during a terrorist attack. It is the kind of question that comes from someone who has no experience dealing with terrorism crisis management or, indeed, combat.

I dealt with scores of incidents and military operations over 30 years in the Pentagon, State Department and White House. I never saw a case where there was initial and accurate clarity about what happened."

and this one:

"If there were not a presidential campaign going on, a campaign in which the incumbent has a stellar record of fighting terrorism, I doubt Romney would care about the details of what happened in Benghazi. In 20 years of running for office, he has never demonstrated any expertise or even real interest in the details of national security."

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Thu Oct 18, 2012, 12:29 PM

2. and then there is this...

But it is politics to rush out with a press release critical of the President’s handling of a crisis while the crisis is still going on, while American diplomats are still under fire. The Romney campaign did just that and got many details wrong in so doing.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/opinion/romney-libya-shameful-article-1.1185889?pgno=1#ixzz29fWeWAM5

Thank you Richard Clarke, and thank you NY Daily News for actually publishing this. (Since they are usually pretty rightwing nutty)

Reply to this post

Thu Oct 18, 2012, 05:27 PM

3. recommended!! there is no situation that Rmoney, being a good Republican can't turn into a political

opportunity. Huh, our government is in the middle of finding out what happened and who did it? reckless comments might jeopardize covert effortst to obtain info?... Oh fuck that, try to score some political points while you can.

Reply to this post

Thu Oct 18, 2012, 05:58 PM

4. This is Excellent Analysis and history from Richard Clarke.. thanks Rex

This Should Go VIRAL! How about if everyone who Votes read this?

Reply to this post

Thu Oct 18, 2012, 06:14 PM

5. great article

but did any of you read the comments? OMG. How stupid are Americans?

Reply to this post

Response to Carolina (Reply #5)

Thu Oct 18, 2012, 09:29 PM

6. Yeah, the stupidest one I found is:

WHY ARE WE OVER THERE?

Uh... Hey, moron: Ambassador is no 'WE' since EVERY COUNTRY ON EARTH HAS (at least) one...

But don't worry too much, Carolina, because every country on Earth also have stupid ignoramusses, not just America.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread