HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Good Reads (Forum) » How Barack Obama threaded...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Wed Oct 17, 2012, 09:42 AM

How Barack Obama threaded the town hall needle and got America to be outraged at Mitt Romney

I was a little concerned going into last night’s presidential debate. Not because I was worried that the President Obama that I know and trust wouldn’t show up. I was confident about that. I was concerned that the town hall debate format wouldn’t allow him to be as effective as he needed to be at pushing back against Mitt Romney’s incessant lying. We all wanted him to, and I predicted that he would, go on the attack much in the same way Vice President Biden did against Paul Ryan last week. But town hall debates are notorious for penalizing aggressive, attack-style approaches. Just ask Al Gore or George H. W. Bush about that.

I needn’t have worried. Just like Joe Biden invented a new way to debate liars last week, President Obama figured out a way to go on the attack in a way that seemed compassionate and strong at the same time without coming across as too aggressive. How did he do this? By being angry, and helping the audience to be angry, that his opponent wasn’t compassionate.

He did it when it comes to tax fairness.

He did it with regard to the rescue of our domestic vehicle manufacturers.

He did it when it comes to immigration.

He did it with regard to China.

He most certainly did it with regard to the War on Women. And when Mitt Romney was tripping all over himself, talking about his “binders full of women”, President Obama deftly got out of the way and let him fall flat on his face.

MUCH MORE...

http://www.eclectablog.com/2012/10/how-barack-obama-threaded-the-town-hall-needle-and-got-america-to-be-outraged-at-mitt-romney.html

4 replies, 1440 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 4 replies Author Time Post
Reply How Barack Obama threaded the town hall needle and got America to be outraged at Mitt Romney (Original post)
ProfessionalLeftist Oct 2012 OP
Patiod Oct 2012 #1
vi5 Oct 2012 #2
Bill USA Oct 2012 #3
ProfessionalLeftist Oct 2012 #4

Response to ProfessionalLeftist (Original post)

Wed Oct 17, 2012, 09:56 AM

1. Agreed, but that's not what I'm hearing this morning

I'm hearing "tie" or "Obama by a smidge" from the BBC World Service and their Washington correspondents.

Which is ridiculous. (Hey, at least no one outside Fox "News" is trying to say that Romney actually won).

I don't go to anywhere but NPR and here for news so I'm wondering what other MSM outlets are saying.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Wed Oct 17, 2012, 10:05 AM

2. There's more than a little hyperbole there...

I would not say that America is outraged. I think O won and Mitt looked foolish a number of times last night. But I'm not seeing a whole lot of outrage.

Reply to this post

Wed Oct 17, 2012, 04:21 PM

3. it's done by getting people to see what a shape-shifting con artist Rmoney is, but it's damn hard...

Rmoney being the slippery SOB that he is. Still, it's incredible how many people still think this guy is trustworthy and won't do enormous harm to the country ( in puppet Bush fashion). Does half the nation think that's all they deserve - to be abused??

Reply to this post

Response to Bill USA (Reply #3)

Wed Oct 17, 2012, 05:34 PM

4. I have to wonder if

they hate Obama more than they have common sense. Apparently so.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread