HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Good Reads (Forum) » Nance Greggs: A Win?

Fri Oct 5, 2012, 01:00 AM

Nance Greggs: A Win?

Whenever I’ve heard some Republican or another say that Mitt Romney would make a great president, I always have the same question: Based on exactly what? It is an explanation that has never been forthcoming from anyone on the GOP side, as though just saying it somehow elevates the statement above what it obviously is, the usual rhetoric without any basis in fact.

I had the same question in mind last night as I listened to the pundits and media bobbleheads declaring Romney’s debate performance as a clear “win”. And again I ask the question: Based on exactly what?

Allow me to digress for a moment, and say that I knew long before the debate ever started that it would be hailed as a spectacular win for The Mittster – not because anyone expected the gaffe-prone idiot to rise to the occasion and dazzle the audience, but because the news media needs this to be a horserace. Viewers don’t tune in to keep abreast of a race that already has a clear winner weeks, even months, before the final lap around the track. It was a foregone conclusion that even if Romney had pulled out his dick and pissed on the podium, the bobbleheads would have raved about his innovative style and ability to use a bodily function in order to make a point.

That being said, I again ask the question: Romney “won” the debate based on exactly what?

More at: http://www.democratsforprogress.com/2012/10/04/a-win/

12 replies, 1826 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 12 replies Author Time Post
Reply Nance Greggs: A Win? (Original post)
DemocratsForProgress Oct 2012 OP
longship Oct 2012 #1
CaliforniaPeggy Oct 2012 #2
BlueStreak Oct 2012 #3
iemitsu Oct 2012 #4
Cha Oct 2012 #5
Wednesdays Oct 2012 #6
DonCoquixote Oct 2012 #7
elzenmahn Oct 2012 #8
fasttense Oct 2012 #9
goclark Oct 2012 #12
CRH Oct 2012 #10
goclark Oct 2012 #11

Response to DemocratsForProgress (Original post)

Fri Oct 5, 2012, 01:11 AM

1. Nance blasts one out of the park here!

Well click-through worthy. Just do it... And smile.
R&

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Fri Oct 5, 2012, 01:14 AM

2. Thank you, Nance...

You have done your normal magic here; you have translated the untranslatable into plain and elegant English, so that all of us who have struggled to understand the mittster's rhetoric can now finally do so.

It's perfect.

Reply to this post

Fri Oct 5, 2012, 01:19 AM

3. The observations about sportscasters is so true -- and depressing

Nance is exactly right. Sportscasters really agonize over the ethics of Pete Rose's gambling or Mark McGwire's steroids or Lance Armstrong's doping. Hell, they debate the propriety of a Packer's non-interception call for a week.

We get nothing like that from the "legitimate news journalists". They all just mindlessly recite the official beltway narrative without asking the most basic questions.

It really pains me to say that the only journalist who had the guts and integrity to seriously challenge Romney on his tax BS was Chris Wallace of Fox News. Wallace should not be alone here. That makes it way too easy for weasels like Romney to operate.

Reply to this post

Fri Oct 5, 2012, 01:24 AM

4. wonderful rant.

i agree with her assessment of last night's "debate".
romney's lies mock the office he seeks. he is a buffoon and a laughing stock.
obama looked the way any sane person would when confronted with the jekyll/hyde transformation of romney.
perturbed and taken aback.
he did not embarrass himself the way romney did.
i believe romney lost more than the debate last night. he no longer has a good name. brand romney is spoilt.

Reply to this post

Fri Oct 5, 2012, 01:34 AM

5. Based on his ability to Steamroll his

Big Lie Mobile.

Thanks, Nance

Reply to this post

Fri Oct 5, 2012, 01:50 AM

6. Spot. On.

Reply to this post

Fri Oct 5, 2012, 02:32 AM

7. nance.thank you

Some folks here at DU should be thankful that many of us cannot simply buy this place. There would be a lot of people welcomed back here, you among them.

And I dare say that many of the people saying "wheer wuz Obama?" are the same people who gave you grief. the ones who want a 2016 election whith whoever compliments their vanity, Hillary or Dennis K., and to hell with the country in the here and now.

Reply to this post

Fri Oct 5, 2012, 02:48 AM

8. ...and it's a long fly, deep to left-center, way back, way back, and it's...

...outta here!

Not much needed for me to add save for smilies on this one - good job, Nance!

Reply to this post

Fri Oct 5, 2012, 06:54 AM

9. I just couldn't get past that Boy comment

Once he called the President of the United States a BOY, I didn't hear anything else. I was stunned he was so blatantly racist. I had to go back and replay it to hear that he would fire Big Bird and the moderator.

Romney just proved that he's racist and nasty and can be racist and nasty with a big ugly grin on his face.

Reply to this post

Response to fasttense (Reply #9)

Fri Oct 5, 2012, 07:52 PM

12. I did not hear that

He called my president a boy?!??
MsgoclarkObama can't go for that at all!

Reply to this post

Fri Oct 5, 2012, 03:15 PM

10. I do so hope you are correct Nancy, ...

excerpt from the link

The fact of the matter is that Romney is still the ultimate loser in this race. And the bobbleheads calling his debate performance a game-changer won’t alter the fact that the game has not been changed. Nor will it be in days to come.

end

Because when the media decides to stampede the herd, they are often successful. And I have in the past polled people after they have voted, and noted over 80% couldn't name specific issues and used bad information to base their decision. They were not an informed electorate and few watched the debates. Their opinions were formed from word of mouth stories and media tripe presented in the last few days before the election.

Was this debate the gun shot used to get the herd a moving? We shall see.

Reply to this post

Fri Oct 5, 2012, 07:48 PM

11. you got it right

He"Won" if telling bolds face lies..that all I could hear.
His lips were moving and he was flipping and flopping like a seal.

Good old FlipFlopmitt!

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread