HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Good Reads (Forum) » RAVITCH: Michelle Rhee’s ...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Tue Oct 2, 2012, 12:24 PM

RAVITCH: Michelle Rhee’s Plan to Destroy Public Education--buy conservative Dems

Eventually, Democrats have to get a handle on this shit. The only conversation any Democrat should have with Rhee should be in front of a congressional committee, investigating who is funding her "reform" efforts and what they have gained and stand to gain in the future in return.

Conservative Democrats are desperately trying to keep the GOP viable so they have an excuse to agree with them on money making issues like this.

If they're not careful, when the GOP finishes dying, they will find themselves in the new minority party with actual Democratic voters either leaving them to form a new party or spitting them out of the existing one.

That this education "reform" agenda has any Democratic Party support shows how "bipartisan" and "corrupt" are almost interchangeable.

Michelle Rhee is is a one-person PAC. She is raising hundreds of millions of dollars from rightwing billionaires and foundations and corporations to subsidize her program.

What is her program? Destroy teachers' unions; eliminate tenure and seniority; privatize public education. Having failed to transform the public schools of the District of Columbia, she now wants to privatize public education everywhere.

When I was in Chattanooga, Tennessee, I learned from a Democratic state senator that Rhee had poured $105,000 into a race between a liberal Democrat and a conservative Democrat. The difference between them? The conservative Democrat supports vouchers. My informant said, "Candidates here will jump through hoops for a contribution of $1,000. Getting $105,000 is unimaginable." Rhee bought the election. The voucher-loving Democrat won. He added: Most of Rhee's money goes to conservative Republicans.

http://wp.me/p2odLa-2kG

11 replies, 1607 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 11 replies Author Time Post
Reply RAVITCH: Michelle Rhee’s Plan to Destroy Public Education--buy conservative Dems (Original post)
yurbud Oct 2012 OP
bemildred Oct 2012 #1
yurbud Oct 2012 #2
yurbud Oct 2012 #3
msongs Oct 2012 #4
Smarmie Doofus Oct 2012 #5
yurbud Oct 2012 #6
Smarmie Doofus Oct 2012 #7
yurbud Oct 2012 #8
LineNew Reply .
yurbud Oct 2012 #9
midnight Oct 2012 #10
yurbud Oct 2012 #11

Response to yurbud (Original post)

Tue Oct 2, 2012, 12:41 PM

1. The Pubbies have been after our public education system for 40 years now.

Last edited Tue Oct 2, 2012, 03:12 PM - Edit history (1)

And they have done great harm to it.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to bemildred (Reply #1)

Tue Oct 2, 2012, 12:44 PM

2. starve it of funding which jacks up class size and narrow curriculum to test taking...

that's a recipe for the very failure they keep blaming teachers for.

Reply to this post

Response to yurbud (Reply #2)

Tue Oct 2, 2012, 12:45 PM

3. a simple way to tell what politicians love: who do they give money to and deregulate?

and conversely, anything they starve of funds and regulate to death, they hate.

And by hate, I mean they can't figure out how to get money in their own pockets from it.

Reply to this post

Tue Oct 2, 2012, 01:25 PM

4. race to the top nt

Reply to this post

Tue Oct 2, 2012, 01:47 PM

5. Well put:

>>>That this education "reform" agenda has any Democratic Party support shows how "bipartisan" and "corrupt" are almost interchangeable.>>>

Reply to this post

Response to Smarmie Doofus (Reply #5)

Tue Oct 2, 2012, 03:55 PM

6. When one party has a bad idea, it might just be a bad idea. When both parties have the same bad

idea, they are paid to have it.

Reply to this post

Response to yurbud (Reply #6)

Tue Oct 2, 2012, 06:07 PM

7. There you go again,'bud.

You're on a roll. Nothing I envy/admire more than the ability to effectively convey complex ( and valid) analysis in a handful of carefully chosen words.

Good thing you're on "my side".... or I might have to hate your guts.

Reply to this post

Response to Smarmie Doofus (Reply #7)

Tue Oct 2, 2012, 07:01 PM

8. that is high praise.

Reply to this post

Wed Oct 3, 2012, 11:10 AM

9. .

Reply to this post

Wed Oct 3, 2012, 12:22 PM

10. I appreciate the discussion that all this money being raised to replace public education and hand it

over to private companies to harvest our tax dollars while providing low quality education via manufactured test results needs a bigger flash light on it... thanks.

Reply to this post

Response to midnight (Reply #10)

Wed Oct 3, 2012, 12:24 PM

11. that's a good summary of what's going on.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread