HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Good Reads (Forum) » Colbert I. King: "R...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Sat Sep 29, 2012, 07:50 AM

Colbert I. King: "Racism could sway the election"

Credit R. Wallace “Wally” Hudson, chairman of the Mecklenburg County (Va.) Republican Committee, with demonstrating how new social media platforms can broadcast ancient hates. The Post reported this week that the countyGOP’s Facebook page had displayed for months photos portraying President Obama as a witch doctor, a caveman and a drug dealer.

Baylor University assistant professor Mia Moody did a study of social media stereotyping of Barack and Michelle Obama; her findings appeared in the journal New Media & Culture.

Moody observed that, while the group professed to dislike Obama not because of his race, most comments on the page attacked the president “personally with racial slurs.” Just one example: “Obama needs to step down and go back to Africa with the rest of the coons!! He’s nothing but a jigaboo and spear chucker!!”

http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/colbert-king-racism-through-social-media/2012/09/28/3ddb1c86-0966-11e2-a10c-fa5a255a9258_story.html

2 replies, 1120 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 2 replies Author Time Post
Reply Colbert I. King: "Racism could sway the election" (Original post)
DavidL Sep 2012 OP
Zambero Sep 2012 #1
rock Sep 2012 #2

Response to DavidL (Original post)

Sat Sep 29, 2012, 08:34 AM

1. This crap is nothing new

It didn't carry the day 4 years ago and I seriously doubt that anyone who supported President Obama in 2008 would ascribe to this brand of hate.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to DavidL (Original post)

Sat Sep 29, 2012, 09:09 AM

2. "Racism could sway the election"

Duh. One of the parties is Republican! What do you think!?

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread