HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Good Reads (Forum) » 'Muslim Rage': So Much Ea...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Wed Sep 26, 2012, 07:53 AM

'Muslim Rage': So Much Easier Than Thinking

http://www.commondreams.org/view/2012/09/25-6

Gawker responds to Newsweek's proposition of "Muslim rage" with this photo of a "wrathful Jordanian girl." (Gawker)

I know you’re not stupid, but the mainstream media seems to think you are.

Why else would Newsweek’s front page feature a picture of an angry man wearing a turban and run the headline, “Muslim Rage”? Why else would TV anchor Joe Scarborough insist, “They hate us because of their religion, they hate us because of their culture”? And why else would thousands of features and op-eds paint a monolithic “Middle East” and a monolithic “Muslims”—“others” who all think and act one way?

A lot is missing from media representations of the global protests that recently captivated the world. And what’s missing should be at the heart of our national discussion of foreign policy.

But rather than engage with complexities, the media, the US presidential campaigns and the candidates have all pushed their own agendas—from higher cable ratings to continued military presence in the Middle East—in ways that distort our perceptions of one another as real human beings.

2 replies, 772 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 2 replies Author Time Post
Reply 'Muslim Rage': So Much Easier Than Thinking (Original post)
xchrom Sep 2012 OP
hlthe2b Sep 2012 #1
minkyboodle Sep 2012 #2

Response to xchrom (Original post)

Wed Sep 26, 2012, 07:57 AM

1. That Newsweek article could just as easily have replaced teabaggers on cover with "US RW Rage"

I fail to see much difference in the "unthinking" kneejerk anger based on distortion and fear.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to xchrom (Original post)

Wed Sep 26, 2012, 10:10 AM

2. Great Article

Thanks needed to be stated that Newsweek cover is particularly ridiculous
Scott

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread