HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Good Reads (Forum) » Mitt ad miners co. spokes...

Thu Sep 20, 2012, 01:15 AM

Mitt ad miners co. spokesman: “Attendance was mandatory but no one was forced to attend"

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/la-pn-romney-ad-miners-rally-20120919,0,6066201.story

By Neela Banerjee

4:33 p.m. CDT, September 19, 2012

WASHINGTON -- On Wednesday, the Mitt Romney campaign released an ad spotlighting President Obama’s putative "War On Coal," despite a controversy in Ohio about the coal miners’ rally featured in the spot. In the ad, Romney appears on a stage before rows of hard-hatted miners, their faces smudged with coal dust, as he says, “We have 250 years of coal. Why wouldn’t we use it?”

The rally was held last month in Beallsville, Ohio, thick with miners from the Century coal mine, owned by Murray Energy, a major donor to Republican causes. Within days of the rally, Murray employees contacted a nearby morning talk radio host, David Blomquist, to say they were forced to attend the Aug. 14 event at the mine.

Murray closed the mine the day of the rally, saying it was necessary for security and safety, then docked miners their pay for those hours. Asked by WWVA radio’s Blomquist about the allegations, Murray Chief Operating Officer Robert Moore said, somewhat confusingly, “Attendance was mandatory but no one was forced to attend the event.”

. . .

6 replies, 1382 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 6 replies Author Time Post
Reply Mitt ad miners co. spokesman: “Attendance was mandatory but no one was forced to attend" (Original post)
swag Sep 2012 OP
bemildred Sep 2012 #1
Kalidurga Sep 2012 #2
Lasher Sep 2012 #3
Tx4obama Sep 2012 #4
JHB Sep 2012 #5
Historic NY Sep 2012 #6

Response to swag (Original post)

Thu Sep 20, 2012, 01:16 AM

1. Where do they get these guys? nt

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Thu Sep 20, 2012, 01:19 AM

2. Um yeah

Listening to republicans is getting more confusing by the day. They will be reduced to saying "dry water" and we will all be going "huh". And then they will declare themselves the winner of the debate, because we are too stupid to understand them.

Reply to this post

Thu Sep 20, 2012, 01:43 AM

3. WWVA radio station

AM radio right wing propaganda ministry located in Wheeling, WV. I doubt if Blomquist threw anything but softballs at Moore.

Reply to this post

Thu Sep 20, 2012, 02:31 AM

4. But they were forced to come out of the mine and were not paid for time above ground. n/t

Reply to this post

Thu Sep 20, 2012, 05:47 AM

5. Demand Republicans speak English Only!

You can't demand "English only" if you don't practice it.

Reply to this post

Thu Sep 20, 2012, 06:28 AM

6. Double speak.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread