HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Good Reads (Forum) » S.F. declines to take lea...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Sun Jun 24, 2012, 03:22 AM

S.F. declines to take lead on curbing soda sales

San Francisco politicians are famous for thinking they know what's best for the public's health.

Not long ago, the city grabbed headlines for banning toys in Happy Meals in an attempt to combat child obesity.

But now, as a growing number of cities in California and nationwide push aggressive policies to curb soda consumption - the hot-button public health issue of the moment - San Francisco remains relatively quiet on the subject.

As obesity and diabetes rates soar in the United States, Richmond this fall will vote on a soda tax that would be the first nationwide. New York City this month moved to outlaw super-size sodas and sugary drinks, an idea also gaining support in Cambridge, Mass. A proposal in Los Angeles would end vending machine sales of sodas in parks and libraries.

full: http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/S-F-declines-to-take-lead-on-curbing-soda-sales-3658064.php

DU thread about the NYC proposed law: http://www.democraticunderground.com/1014132128

1 replies, 643 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 1 replies Author Time Post
Reply S.F. declines to take lead on curbing soda sales (Original post)
alp227 Jun 2012 OP
Art_from_Ark Jun 2012 #1

Response to alp227 (Original post)

Sun Jun 24, 2012, 03:29 AM

1. Vending machine sales of sodas in libraries???

I can't imagine libraries having vending machines for soda. Or elementary schools, for that matter. I guess that's what happens when funding is cut by people who are too blind to see the non-monetary value of such institutions.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread