HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Good Reads (Forum) » Climate change deniers bl...

Sat Jun 9, 2012, 04:36 PM

Climate change deniers blinded by political ideology - Michael E. Mann

A recent commentary by Frank Hilliard of the Individual Rights Party of B.C. that appeared in The Vancouver Sun June 4 misinformed readers when it comes to the reality and seriousness of human-caused climate change. Further, Hilliard’s tirade was riddled with fabrications and dishonest personal attacks against me and other climate scientists.

Hilliard demonstrates that he does not understand the so-called “Hockey Stick” graph that my co-authors and I published more than a decade ago, which demonstrated that the nature of recent warming is unprecedented. Our temperature reconstruction was based on hundreds of climate “proxy” records around the world, including tree-ring data from every continent as well as ice cores from polar regions, coral records from the tropical oceans, and other sources of information. Yet, Hillard claims they were based only on “one set of observations of tree rings in Russia.” That is simply a blatant fabrication.

Hilliard compounds the problem by citing attacks against our work by two Canadian climate change deniers (Fraser Institute-funded economist Ross McKitrick and energy industry consultant Stephen McIntyre) without noting that several independent studies have established fatal flaws in their claims.

Dozens of independent studies have reproduced our original findings and the highest scientific authority in the U.S., the National Academy of Sciences, has reaffirmed our conclusions (see e.g. Science Panel Backs Study on Warming Climate, New York Times, June 22, 2006), confirming that modern temperatures are likely higher than they’ve been in more than a thousand years.

http://www.vancouversun.com/technology/Climate+change+deniers+blinded+political+ideology/6748053/story.html#ixzz1xKX3owxS

2 replies, 845 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 2 replies Author Time Post
Reply Climate change deniers blinded by political ideology - Michael E. Mann (Original post)
Swede Jun 2012 OP
ladjf Jun 2012 #1
Odin2005 Jun 2012 #2

Response to Swede (Original post)

Sat Jun 9, 2012, 07:00 PM

1. Sentient beings cannot survive following a world view that was

fabricated from fantasy. nt

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Swede (Original post)

Sun Jun 10, 2012, 03:51 PM

2. I have noticed that almost every Libertarian is a Denialist.

Accepting global warming as human caused would lead to cognitive dissonance between scientific fact and political beliefs.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread