HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Good Reads (Forum) » Don't Suppose Many Know W...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Wed Jun 6, 2012, 04:58 AM

Don't Suppose Many Know What it's Like to Operate on More than One Level of Consciousness....

I'm just curious.

It really sucks to be spread so thin throughout consciousness. The pre-frontal cortex really can't handle what the occipital cortex can dish out sometimes.

Anyone?

31 replies, 3708 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 31 replies Author Time Post
Reply Don't Suppose Many Know What it's Like to Operate on More than One Level of Consciousness.... (Original post)
The Doctor. Jun 2012 OP
Skittles Jun 2012 #1
The Doctor. Jun 2012 #9
Bill USA Jun 2012 #15
postulater Jun 2012 #2
Jackpine Radical Jun 2012 #6
postulater Jun 2012 #7
chknltl Jun 2012 #3
99th_Monkey Jun 2012 #4
eShirl Jun 2012 #5
The Doctor. Jun 2012 #8
agent46 Jun 2012 #12
The Doctor. Jun 2012 #13
agent46 Jun 2012 #14
The Doctor. Jun 2012 #16
agent46 Jun 2012 #17
The Doctor. Jun 2012 #18
agent46 Jun 2012 #19
The Doctor. Jun 2012 #20
agent46 Jun 2012 #21
The Doctor. Jun 2012 #22
agent46 Jun 2012 #23
The Doctor. Jun 2012 #24
agent46 Jun 2012 #25
The Doctor. Jun 2012 #26
agent46 Jun 2012 #27
The Doctor. Jun 2012 #30
agent46 Jun 2012 #31
Blue_Tires Jun 2012 #10
The Doctor. Jun 2012 #11
MindMover Jun 2012 #28
The Doctor. Jun 2012 #29

Response to The Doctor. (Original post)

Wed Jun 6, 2012, 05:11 AM

1. put down the pipe and get some sleep!

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Skittles (Reply #1)

Wed Jun 6, 2012, 10:54 AM

9. No pipe.

But I wish...

Reply to this post

Response to Skittles (Reply #1)

Wed Jun 6, 2012, 04:09 PM

15. think this guy is main-lining, may soon be flat-lining

an individual talking nonsense and thinking he's actually saying something that makes sense is not a good sign.

NOt to mention how the hell does this comment belong on Good Reads (wiht no link).

Reply to this post

Wed Jun 6, 2012, 05:11 AM

2. Sorry. Lost in my amygdalae tonight.

Reply to this post

Response to postulater (Reply #2)

Wed Jun 6, 2012, 06:44 AM

6. You have more than one amygdala?

Must be hell in there.

Reply to this post

Response to Jackpine Radical (Reply #6)

Wed Jun 6, 2012, 09:13 AM

7. Yeah and they're not getting along well this AM.

The amygdalae ( /əˈmɪɡdəliː/; singular: amygdala; also corpus amygdaloideum; Latin, from Greek αμυγδαλή, amygdalē, 'almond', 'tonsil', listed in the Gray's Anatomy textbook as the nucleus amygdalę) are almond-shaped groups of nuclei located deep within the medial temporal lobes of the brain in complex vertebrates, including humans. Shown in research to perform a primary role in the processing and memory of emotional reactions, the amygdalae are considered part of the limbic system.

Reply to this post

Wed Jun 6, 2012, 05:55 AM

3. Yep... about to do so momentarily

...well as soon as I fall asleep that is. Nighty-night.
(actually there could be a way cool discussion to read and maybe even partake in here but it is waaaay past my bedtime, sorry. Bookmarking because that's what bookmarks are for.)

Reply to this post

Wed Jun 6, 2012, 06:00 AM

4. We all have our crosses to bear

.. or is it to "bare".

There seems to be something a "quiet controversy" about which it is?

More or less random google hit links...
http://www.usingenglish.com/reference/idioms/cross+to+bear.html

http://lisaangelettieblog.com/bare-or-bear-a-grammar-lesson/

Whatever.

I'd like to think it's both/and.

Reply to this post

Wed Jun 6, 2012, 06:07 AM

5. you mean simultaneously?

Reply to this post

Response to eShirl (Reply #5)

Wed Jun 6, 2012, 10:52 AM

8. Well, we don't have much of a choice for the most part.

We're all pretty much living in the conscious, hyper-conscious, and super-conscious all the time.

Problem is, most people are 'asleep' on other levels of consciousness and therefore have little interference occurring on their mundane level of 'reality'. Those that are more active in the super/hyper-conscious realm have less control in mundane reality.

Know anyone with really bad 'luck'?

What's really happening (in many cases) is that their super-conscious activities are putting them in bad positions in mundane reality. They might 'accidentally' get off the highway at the wrong exit, for instance, and wind up late for an important appointment while never realizing that they just altered the traffic pattern just enough to prevent a major accident elsewhere.

Their super-conscious awareness, in this case, caused them to act on something their conscious mind was completely oblivious to.

Reply to this post

Response to The Doctor. (Reply #8)

Wed Jun 6, 2012, 03:37 PM

12. Sounds like

Sounds like an elaborate personal fiction that cannot be verified in any way - an example of a personal religious paradigm dressed up to look like an explanation. What flavor of New Age kitsch is this, Doctor?

Reply to this post

Response to agent46 (Reply #12)

Wed Jun 6, 2012, 04:03 PM

13. Over your head, eh?

Not surprising, it's difficult for people to wrap their heads around. Derision is the easiest resort for the unimaginative... obviously.

You don't believe that you're paying more attention to your surroundings than your PFC tells you?

Reply to this post

Response to The Doctor. (Reply #13)

Wed Jun 6, 2012, 04:07 PM

14. Not in the least

Over the years I've simply let go of making up stories about things in order to feel I'm in control in the face of the unknown.

Reply to this post

Response to agent46 (Reply #14)

Wed Jun 6, 2012, 05:36 PM

16. So you believe that the only information your brain receives

Is what you process in your pre-frontal cortex?

Okay buddy.

I know that you're not particularly imaginative or open-minded, but I'll start with mundane consciousness and see if you can grasp a basic concept: you do understand that 'awareness' levels differ from person to person, right?

Now that you've been irked by my tone (which of course you won't admit), see if you can grasp the above concept first.

Reply to this post

Response to The Doctor. (Reply #16)

Wed Jun 6, 2012, 05:56 PM

17. Actually

You've completely missed my point.

But I'd bet you're a follower of some New Age cult that tells you you're so smart you can read minds over the internet. How much do they charge to make you feel that way? Does it take years of practice to overcome critical self-honesty? Who's yr guru???

Reply to this post

Response to agent46 (Reply #17)

Wed Jun 6, 2012, 06:43 PM

18. Wow.

Not even a wisp of effort to understand. So sad.

That, and the cult thing is amusing, I guess.

So you won't engage in any actual attempt to even discuss, let alone tear down the simplest premise that 'awareness' levels vary from person to person. That usually means that one has no point to prove, no argument to make, indeed... no interest in having any impact on a discussion other than to be snide and disruptive.

Don't even have to 'read your mind' to know you have exactly nothing of value.

Consciousness is a far more complex thing than I could ever try to explain to you with even the most rational and reasonable points. If you're not even capable of understanding that the internet itself is a form of consciousness, there's no way in hell you could understand concepts of super-consciousness, group-consciousness, or pretty much anything else more abstract than what little your PFC feeds you.

Hope you've had fun here what with WI and all.

Bye now!

Reply to this post

Response to The Doctor. (Reply #18)

Wed Jun 6, 2012, 07:36 PM

19. PFC?

Is that some new age drug?

Reply to this post

Response to agent46 (Reply #19)

Thu Jun 7, 2012, 01:04 AM

20. Reading, try it.

You really don't know how stupid you look, do you? I'm just trying to help here, but you're like a child.

Wanna keep going? Or were you just trying to get 'alert' material on the off-chance that 4 jurors won't bother to understand this exchange?

Not everyone here is so childish, but go ahead and give it a shot.

Reply to this post

Response to The Doctor. (Reply #20)

Thu Jun 7, 2012, 01:23 AM

21. Okay buddy

I know that you're not particularly imaginative or quick witted, but I'll start with mundane consciousness and see if you can grasp a basic concept.

You've been irked by my tone (which of course you won't admit), see if you can just let it go instead of chewing it over in your mind.

Reply to this post

Response to agent46 (Reply #21)

Thu Jun 7, 2012, 02:29 AM

22. I always find it amusing,

When someone so ignorant can have such strong opinions without even making an attempt at either understanding or forming an argument.

There's a word for that these days: 'Wingnut'.

Left or Right, ignorance is a tragedy.

Reply to this post

Response to The Doctor. (Reply #22)

Response to agent46 (Reply #21)

Thu Jun 7, 2012, 04:02 AM

24. Good to see it's starting to dawn on you...

That you're kind of making a fool of yourself.

So... all these reports of 'dreams', which are well-known to occur on a different level of consciousness, are just bunk? Woo-woo stuff? Never had a dream?

I feel sorry for you.

Reply to this post

Response to The Doctor. (Reply #24)

Thu Jun 7, 2012, 01:29 PM

25. Actually

Last edited Thu Jun 7, 2012, 04:17 PM - Edit history (1)

(Fail again) you haven't a clue what I'm thinking, what I believe or how I frame my experience. Last night, it was late and I started feeling sorry for you. I'm sure you're not a bad guy. You may even have a few like minded friends. But all you can do is call me names and feel superior because your cult tells you you're entitled to.

You just go right on reading people's minds over the internet. No one will know what a fool you are except the very few who even bother paying attention to your mind-numbing pseudo-science woo. But I guess that's the whole point of being a cultist. You live inside an echo chamber with a bunch of equally pacified, weak minded followers who believe they are geniuses with twelve strands of activated DNA. It boggles the mind what people will believe in order to feel good about themselves.

A hundred years ago New Agers like you were channeling their dead relatives and experimenting with hypnotism, the cosmic ether and animal magnetism. Now you're channeling aliens, practicing NLP and prosperity magic for your rush.

The New Age movement keeps people docile and passive. Makes them useful tools because they never make waves or challenge the status quo. The movement contributes nothing to society. I'll bet you won't be able to connect the dots here because no one in the new age club is willing or able to give a meaningful big picture (besides the comic book one where you're all members of the super galactic hierarchy here to enlighten the world).

I started feeling sorry for you because your responses were so eerily predictable and presumptuous and I don't even read minds over the internet like you do! You are a very common type actually, Doctor, living out very common patterns established for you by an ideology - which is just another ideology. Nothing special. I've never met a new ager that was different from you, come to think of it. Like Lego pieces - molded plastic - all interchangeable.

Are you really even a Doctor? Because if you are, it doesn't seem like it.

Let it go. Don't chew on it so much. It'll ruin your self image.

Reply to this post

Response to agent46 (Reply #25)

Fri Jun 8, 2012, 06:51 AM

26. Clueless.

You also know nothing about me or what I know.

What's amusing is how you felt so compelled to write a dissertation on how foolish I must be. The sad thing is how you ascribe so much silly bullshit to me that I don't believe. You have dismissed something of real substance out of hand because you cannot make the distinction between the simple, empirical study of consciousness and all the other crap you talk about.

Here's the really sad part: I've given you more than one opportunity to directly deal with my points, but in your obvious intellectual weakness, you refuse to even try.

Instead you continue to act predictably and engage in nothing but derision. You have not 'predicted' a single thing before I've said it. Instead you've tossed a load of bullshit that doesn't even remotely apply to me thinking that it is no different than what I'm talking about.

What makes me sad is that you don't believe humans dream, or that we are aware of more than merely what our pre-frontal cortex processes.

All you've managed to do is prove you do not have the intellectual capacity to understand the issue much less actually debate it.

I feel very sorry for you that your world is so small and without the ability to even have dreams when you sleep. Have you ever reported this to a doctor? That you don't dream while you sleep?

Reply to this post

Response to The Doctor. (Reply #26)

Fri Jun 8, 2012, 03:26 PM

27. Dude, I have no doubt

you're in possession of mighty powers, knowledge and abilities far beyond those of mortal men. (Reading people over the internet is clearly not one of them though.)

I directly dealt with your main point - that anyone can spin out extraordinary personal fictions on a public website based on a little pop neuro-science and some unchallenged boilerplate New Age nonsense.

I've been actively exploring non-ordinary consciousness since the sixties. The difference between me and you is I didn't spend the next forty years embellishing my self image as some kind of trans-dimensional adept with special super-cognitive powers that spread me too thin and cause my life to suck.

You no doubt got that particular pattern from a cult that prizes people who make extraordinary claims with no need to back any of it up. You have an audience to impress and a lot to prove. I don't.

Reply to this post

Response to agent46 (Reply #27)

Sun Jun 10, 2012, 04:56 AM

30. Seriously, that' completely looney.

The rain of straw men, hyperbole, and ludicrous caricatures ushering from you show someone so removed from the point at hand that I might as well be trying to communicate with an LSD addled chihuahua.

You don't know the first thing about 'non-ordinary consciousness' except for your sessions with psychotropics.

What I love about you sorts is how you love to just ride into a thread, put on your Superiority Mantle, and cast childish and flatulent derision on the OP. It reveals a very very deep level of insecurity that someone who is so anathema to such an innocent notion as this is so compelled to quash it but with such limited means of doing so.

Is it really so unbelievable to you that impulses arise from the subconscious? Are you so ignorant of basic psychology that such a concept is beyond your grasp?

I ask you question after question, and still.... you have nothing.

You live in a tiny little world, and since I have nothing to 'prove', I'm happy to leave you there.

Good bye.

Reply to this post

Response to The Doctor. (Reply #30)

Sun Jun 10, 2012, 01:32 PM

31. Hey Doktor!

Your hits keep on coming. I can count the times I've used psychotropics on one hand. Maybe it's time to send away for that expensive remote viewing course you've always wanted to take.

I didn't come on this thread to debate pop neuro-science. I came on to challenge you. You are the grifter figure who calls himself The Doctor making claims about your abilities and stating your belief that very few people know what you know.

I've come across dozens of your kind over the years on the internet. Each with the identical profile of inflated speech patterns - right down to that clever little "OK Buddy" post with blank space in the middle that was supposed to blow my mind or something. Do you people all get together and share strategies on how to deal with readers on the internet who call you on your b.s?

You wrote:
Is it really so unbelievable to you that impulses arise from the subconscious? Are you so ignorant of basic psychology that such a concept is beyond your grasp? I ask you question after question, and still.... you have nothing.

Me: Yep. I went to school and learned my ABCs. After that I went to a large university and graduated cum laud with a double major in Anthropology and Literature. Sometimes I even read books! Maybe I see no point in "debating" the obvious. See, I'm not here to challenge science. I'm here to challenge you because I think you're basically a shake and bake charlatan churned out by one of those new age white light brain washing factories that have sprouted up like mushrooms over the last few decades.

Anyway, you've said good-bye a number of times already now. I know how tough the "tar-baby" pattern can be, so I'll do you a favor and cut you loose.

I'll be looking in on you on the boards, Doctor. Use that thesaurus more! See if you can astonish me.

Reply to this post

Wed Jun 6, 2012, 12:46 PM

10. So tell me what it's like already!

Reply to this post

Response to Blue_Tires (Reply #10)

Wed Jun 6, 2012, 02:40 PM

11. Sucks.

Reply to this post

Sun Jun 10, 2012, 02:53 AM

28. Many of my patients say these same things....

I prescribe medications to help with the voices.....

Reply to this post

Response to MindMover (Reply #28)

Sun Jun 10, 2012, 03:43 AM

29. LMAO!

When shooting for derision over something you can't wrap your head around, please....

Try harder.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread