HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Good Reads (Forum) » Daily Kos: When a Blue Do...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Sun Apr 29, 2012, 09:29 PM

Daily Kos: When a Blue Dog falls in primary, every Democrat in Congress hears it

Back on Tuesday, two Blue Dogs—Rep. Jason Altmire in PA-12 and Rep. Tim Holden in PA-17—were defeated for re-election in Democratic primaries. This may not have made national political news, but rest assured that every single Democratic member of the U.S. House of Representatives took notice.

When an incumbent loses a primary, it is a big deal to members of Congress. When two lose, it is a very big deal. When two Blue Dogs lose challenges from the left—Holden to progressive challenger Matt Cartwright and Altmire to the labor-supported Rep. Mark Crtiz—it suggests a shift in power.

[link:http://laborspains.blogspot.com/2012/04/daily-kos-when-blue-dog-falls-in.html|

25 replies, 3631 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 25 replies Author Time Post
Reply Daily Kos: When a Blue Dog falls in primary, every Democrat in Congress hears it (Original post)
geefloyd46 Apr 2012 OP
annabanana Apr 2012 #1
freshwest Apr 2012 #8
TheWraith Apr 2012 #10
Ruby the Liberal Apr 2012 #14
rhett o rick Apr 2012 #15
jeff47 Apr 2012 #23
bvar22 Apr 2012 #24
teddy51 Apr 2012 #2
doc03 Apr 2012 #4
neverforget Apr 2012 #7
harmonicon Apr 2012 #12
robinlynne Apr 2012 #3
xchrom Apr 2012 #5
WillyT Apr 2012 #6
Fearless Apr 2012 #9
Left Coast2020 Apr 2012 #11
blue neen Apr 2012 #13
happyslug Apr 2012 #16
blue neen Apr 2012 #18
happyslug Apr 2012 #20
rhett o rick Apr 2012 #17
limpyhobbler Apr 2012 #19
Leftist Agitator Apr 2012 #21
blue neen Apr 2012 #22
leftyohiolib Apr 2012 #25

Response to geefloyd46 (Original post)

Sun Apr 29, 2012, 09:34 PM

1. NOW we have to get those progressives into the House!

I'm guessing that they are both in reddish territory....and could use some help.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to annabanana (Reply #1)

Sun Apr 29, 2012, 10:55 PM

8. Main question is how the churches in that district vote. That's the GOP's ace in the hole.

Reply to this post

Response to annabanana (Reply #1)

Sun Apr 29, 2012, 11:26 PM

10. And when those better progressives lose in November to Republicans...

I'm sure we'll feel a sense of self-satisfaction that'll be all worth it.

Once again, some people seem to forget that you cannot hold a majority without having some people in the middle.

Reply to this post

Response to TheWraith (Reply #10)

Mon Apr 30, 2012, 12:15 AM

14. Some people seem to forget?

What? They lost. They are out. No November for them.

The member you are responding to is saying that we need to get the primary winners elected now that they are on the ballot.

What could you possibly find in error with that, that you felt the need to issue an admonishment on it?

Not that I expect a response.

Reply to this post

Mon Apr 30, 2012, 12:30 AM

15. Blue Dogs are slimey fake Democrats. They are worse than Republicans. They pretend to be on the

side of humanity, but they stab you in the back. They vote for the corporate oligarchs. Good riddance to the bastards.

Reply to this post

Mon Apr 30, 2012, 11:20 AM

23. There's a pretty big hole in your theory

Last edited Mon Apr 30, 2012, 12:10 PM - Edit history (1)

Blue Dogs aren't in the middle.

"In the middle" would be the middle of political opinion of the country. Not between the two political parties.

Now, a whole lot of people lazily assume "the middle" is between the two parties. That stopped being true in the 90s when the Republicans started their sprint to the "insane" region of the right.

"The middle" is now held by moderate Democrats. Blue Dogs are to the right of the middle. Republicans are waaaaaaaaaaaaay off to the right.

Reply to this post

Response to jeff47 (Reply #23)

Mon Apr 30, 2012, 12:37 PM

24. "The Middle" is held by the Liberal Wing of the Democratic Party.

Where is "The Center"?
Here is what the MAJORITY of Americans (Democrats AND Republicans) want from OUR government!

In recent polls (2005!!!) by the Pew Research Group, the Opinion Research Corporation, the Wall Street Journal, and CBS News, the American majority has made clear how it feels. Look at how the majority feels about some of the issues that you'd think would be gospel to a real Democratic Party:

1. 65 percent (of ALL Americans, Democrats AND Republicans) say the government should guarantee health insurance for everyone -- even if it means raising taxes.

2. 86 percent favor raising the minimum wage (including 79 percent of self-described "social conservatives").

3. 60 percent favor repealing either all of Bush's tax cuts or at least those cuts that went to the rich.

4. 66 percent would reduce the deficit not by cutting domestic spending but by reducing Pentagon spending or raising taxes.

5. 77 percent believe the country should do "whatever it takes" to protect the environment.

6. 87 percent think big oil corporations are gouging consumers, and 80 percent (including 76 percent of Republicans) would support a windfall profits tax on the oil giants if the revenues went for more research on alternative fuels.

7. 69 percent agree that corporate offshoring of jobs is bad for the U.S. economy (78 percent of "disaffected" voters think this), and only 22% believe offshoring is good because "it keeps costs down."

http://alternet.org/story/29788/

8. Over 63% oppose the War on the Iraqi People.

9. 92% of ALL Americans support TRANSPARENT, VERIFIABLE elections!
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=203x446445

On issue after Issue, the American People agree with the Left Wing of the Democratic Party.
The problem is not with the American people.
The problem is that the Democratic Party Leadership seems to be unwilling to Package & Market these very popular values.

The so-called "Moderate" Democrats fall well to The Right of traditional Republicans like Eisenhower, Nixon,
and even Reagan on some issues.

http://www.alternet.org/news/149700

Harry Truman had it exactly right:

"I've seen it happen time after time. When the Democratic candidate allows himself to be put on the defensive and starts apologizing for the New Deal and the Fair Deal, and says he really doesn't believe in them, he is sure to lose. The people don't want a phony Democrat. If it's a choice between a genuine Republican, and a Republican in Democratic clothing, the people will choose the genuine article, every time; that is, they will take a Republican before they will a phony Democrat, and I don't want any phony Democratic candidates in this campaign."

---President Harry Truman
QED:2010

Leadership! "The Buck Stops HERE!" NO Excuses!

You will know them by their WORKS,
not by their excuses.
Solidarity99!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reply to this post

Sun Apr 29, 2012, 09:37 PM

2. So where do you think that shift in power is headed? I'm not sure why any Americans would

vote for Republicans at this point. Maybe we really need to hit a supreme bottom before things will turn around.

I didn't see anywhere in that article that stated that we might see Progressive Democrats win those elections! These Blue dogs are in Red Districts, and as much as I would love to see Progressive Democrats win in these areas, I some how doubt that will happen.

Reply to this post

Response to teddy51 (Reply #2)

Sun Apr 29, 2012, 10:04 PM

4. +1

Reply to this post

Response to teddy51 (Reply #2)

Sun Apr 29, 2012, 10:36 PM

7. We won't know unless we try to elect Progressives

Reply to this post

Response to neverforget (Reply #7)

Sun Apr 29, 2012, 11:43 PM

12. Someone had to say it.

I get so sick of reading here about people voting for someone because they're "electable." Isn't that what the elections are for?! Not putting for the candidate you actually want is the first step to giving up completely.

Reply to this post

Sun Apr 29, 2012, 10:01 PM

3. One can hope!!!

Reply to this post

Sun Apr 29, 2012, 10:05 PM

5. Du rec. Nt

Reply to this post

Sun Apr 29, 2012, 10:15 PM

6. HUGE K & R !!!

Reply to this post

Sun Apr 29, 2012, 10:58 PM

9. About effing time!

Reply to this post

Sun Apr 29, 2012, 11:34 PM

11. Do we need to tell them bye bye?

I was just going to post this story which was in my email from Daily Kos.

Reply to this post

Sun Apr 29, 2012, 11:54 PM

13. Mark Critz is not a progressive. Just check his record.

He was supported by labor, which is a good thing...but he is far from progressive.

Democrats living in PA-12 had a difficult choice in this primary, and the Republican gerrymanderers knew that.

Edited to say: Since Bill Clinton endorsed Critz, it would be wonderful if The Big Dawg would use his persuasive powers to pull Critz more to the left!

Reply to this post

Mon Apr 30, 2012, 12:34 AM

16. Critz, is NOT that far to the left of Altmire, and I voted for Critz

Critz and Altmire were two Congressmen thrown into the same district by Pennsylvania's GOP controlled state Legislature. . Critz won for his home base on Cambria County (Johnstown) went for him by 91% of the cast ballots. Altmire beat Critz 2-1 in most of the new district, those parts that had been represented by Altmire, but Altmire could NOT overcome the overwhelming support for Critz out of Cambria and Somerset counties (Which had been part of John Murtha's old district, which Critz took over at the death of Murtha).

The Unions came out big for Critz and against Altmire over Altmire health insurance vote. Murtha had been on the side line of the debate, but had voted for it at the end, and Critz also supported the health care bill (Critz had worked for Murtha and has been seen as Murtha's designated successor especially after Murtha's widow came out to support Critz's election to succeed Murtha).

On Social Issue Critz is conservative, as was his old district and the district he was thrown into. On the other hand he is very pro-union and a clear economic progressive. This tends to make Critz a good match for the district, and an attack on Alrmire's economic left, while the social issues were ignored in the election.

Reply to this post

Response to happyslug (Reply #16)

Mon Apr 30, 2012, 12:44 AM

18. Good analysis.

I thought during the campaign, though, that Critz said he would have voted against the health care bill had he been in office at the time of the vote.

Critz also voted to defund Planned Parenthood.

Reply to this post

Response to blue neen (Reply #18)

Mon Apr 30, 2012, 01:54 AM

20. Maybe, Critz did make that statement

And given the Death of Murtha, Murtha and Critz never had to vote one way or another on the health care proposal (Murtha died at about the time the issue came up for a vote).

Reply to this post

Mon Apr 30, 2012, 12:43 AM

17. Some here would sell their souls to the Blue Dogs for a Democratic win.

I vote for principle not party name. Fuck Blue Dogs, the scourge of the Democratic Party.

Reply to this post

Mon Apr 30, 2012, 01:18 AM

19. Thank you Pennsylvania voters who did this.

Go team.

Reply to this post

Response to limpyhobbler (Reply #19)

Mon Apr 30, 2012, 07:59 AM

21. Go team?

Reply to this post

Response to limpyhobbler (Reply #19)

Mon Apr 30, 2012, 08:20 AM

22. Maybe you could come and help us get these Democrats elected in November.

We'd be happy to have your help!

Reply to this post

Mon Apr 30, 2012, 01:27 PM

25. i wonder if the ever oily Mary Landrieu is taking notice

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread