HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Good Reads (Forum) » The Death Of Facts In An ...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Sun Apr 29, 2012, 08:56 PM

The Death Of Facts In An Age Of "Truthiness"

http://www.npr.org/2012/04/29/151646558/if-a-fact-dies-in-the-forest-will-anyone-believe-it

"According to columnist Rex Huppke, there was a recent death that you might have missed. It wasn't an actor, musician or famous politician, but facts.

In a piece for the Chicago Tribune, Huppke says facts things we know to be true are now dead.

Huppke says the final blow came on Wednesday, April 18, when Republican Rep. Allen West of Florida declared that about 80 members of the Democratic Party in Congress are members of the Communist Party.

"That was the death-blow for facts," Huppke tells weekends on All Things Considered host Guy Raz.

One call to the Communist Party USA confirmed that this was, in fact, not true. According to them, no one in the U.S. House of Representatives is a member of the Communist Party. Days later, Allen West stood by his comments.

So that led Huppke to the idea that if someone of any political party can say something so patently untrue and stand by it which seems to happen more and more often, he says then facts must be meaningless and dead.

" survived by rumor and innuendo, two brothers, and then a sister, emphatic assertion," he says. "They're all grieving right now, but we wish the best for them."

There's another sibling that may be too busy thriving to grieve. Comedian Stephen Colbert coined the term "truthiness" as the notion that truth doesn't lie in books and facts but rather, in your gut. If Huppke is right and facts are indeed dead, perhaps Colbert's satire is our reality. Where does that leave those of us seeking the truth?"

Score one for Colbert. He announced the death of facts and it has come. It's a sad day for intelligent beings around the world.

9 replies, 1785 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 9 replies Author Time Post
Reply The Death Of Facts In An Age Of "Truthiness" (Original post)
FightForChange Apr 2012 OP
Jackpine Radical Apr 2012 #1
freshwest Apr 2012 #6
LASlibinSC Apr 2012 #2
Ikonoklast Apr 2012 #3
5X Apr 2012 #4
freshwest Apr 2012 #7
Festivito Apr 2012 #5
freshwest Apr 2012 #9
Starry Messenger Apr 2012 #8

Response to FightForChange (Original post)

Sun Apr 29, 2012, 09:15 PM

1. 155 Republicans in the House are members of the American Nazi Party.

Most of the rest belong to the Klan, and 80 hold membership in both organizations.

G'wan and prove me wrong.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Jackpine Radical (Reply #1)

Sun Apr 29, 2012, 11:20 PM

6. Damned straight, Jack! I'm with you 110%! I know it's true, and that's a fact! See how easy it is?

I know how I feel, and that's a fact, and it's all the fact I'll ever need.

Damned Nazi Swine! But wait, I'm not kidding! But that really is the truth! I know it in my heart! If you just think a minute, you'll know it's true!

Okay, we are emotional beings, the limbic systems lays down the memories, something repeated over and over again is the truth, even if it starts as a lie.

Maybe the lie is the truth and the truth was a lie. And what I just said was always the truth, until I change my mind. I'll quit the mental masturbation now...

Reply to this post

Sun Apr 29, 2012, 10:08 PM

2. Proof?

That's to close to truth, so you must be right on point. Sounds right to me!

Reply to this post

Sun Apr 29, 2012, 10:30 PM

3. 'Allen West' is actually seventy weasels wearing a human skin suit.

They make it say insane things in order to scare stupid people into voting for them.

Reply to this post

Response to Ikonoklast (Reply #3)

Sun Apr 29, 2012, 10:32 PM

4. It must be true,

I read it on the internet.

Reply to this post

Response to Ikonoklast (Reply #3)

Sun Apr 29, 2012, 11:22 PM

7. Yup, I believe it. And they're all being remotely controlled by the Devil, too! See him dance!

Reply to this post

Sun Apr 29, 2012, 11:09 PM

5. Truth is: Throw mud at a man and some of it will stick. /nt

Reply to this post

Response to Festivito (Reply #5)

Mon Apr 30, 2012, 12:28 AM

9. Unless he's Teflon like Reagan and the rest of the GOP. Media perception is everything.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread